Chapter 29

Cordelia woke up late the next morning to find a warm cup of coffee left for her on her bedside table as the soft golden morning light illuminated the room. She smiled softly and rolled over to see Elliott still fast asleep on the bed next to her, the space where Misty once laid was now occupied by Max, who rested his head on Elliott's back. It was a perfect way to wake up, something most people dreamed about, if you removed the events that had transpired the previous night from everyone's memory.

Still, Cordelia's heart swelled as she sipped her coffee, an obvious parting gift from Misty, and stared at her sleeping child. Elliott always looked so concerned, especially as of late, it always seemed like she had a permanent crease down the center of her forehead between her eyebrows, like she knew the world was about to implode. It was nice to see her so peaceful, her face completely relaxed. It made her look more like an actual kid, her head laid on the pillow, hair splayed haphazardly behind her. She looked normal. When was the last time she actually looked like a teenager? Or the last time she actually smiled? Not the half smile she made when someone said something funny, or the small, uncomfortable one when she noticed someone was staring at her, but a real genuine smile? Was it the day they got Max? Cordelia couldn't recall any moments after that, but she knew in that moment she would give anything to see that smile again.

Slowly, Cordelia made her way downstairs and into the kitchen, grabbing herself another cup of coffee as she spotted Misty sitting at the table. "Mornin'." Misty said, reading the last sentence of her book before she looked up and softly smiled at the older woman.

"Morning? Mist, it's practically afternoon, why didn't you wake me up?" Cordelia asked, chuckling as she leaned against the counter.

"Ya looked so cute sleepin', and god knows ya needed it!" Misty responded, causing Cordelia to blush.

"Well now I'm behind. The girls are coming back in two days and I have nothing ready for them. I'm screwed." Cordelia said, obviously frustrated.

"Ya are not screwed. All ya need for them is a room to shove em in." Misty laughed.

"Which I'm not even sure we have enough of those. Mallory and Coco are rooming together, which is fine, and Queenie and Madison are getting an apartment, which frees up two beds but with you, Elle, and David all having your own room that makes us short. I was going to give Elle a roommate but considering her nightmares I don't think that's a good idea, at least not right now." Cordelia lamented, letting out a sigh at the end.

"Well ya could always stick me with Elle, as long as she doesn't mind." Misty offered.

"Do you really want to live with a 15-year-old?" Cordelia asked sarcastically.

"I don't mind it, it's not like I'm not around her all the time anyways, plus then I can help too. Elle's family, it'll be fine." Misty said honestly, which only made Cordelia's heart race. As much as she loved Misty for being so close with Elliott, it also terrified her. She hadn't even considered what their relationship, or possible lack of relationship, would do to Elliott. Her thoughts quickly started to spiral, but Misty reeled her back in. "Is she up yet?"

"No not yet. I didn't have the heart to wake her up, it's the first full night of sleep she's gotten in god knows how long." Cordelia said, placing her now empty mug in the sink.

"Yea, I would just leave her, she needs it." Misty said, causing Cordelia to nod and the conversation to lull. "Sorry about last night by the way. I didn't mean ta go against ya, with her showing me, I just knew she wasn't gonna show ya."

"It's fine, we needed to find out one way or another." Cordelia said, dismissing Misty's apology with a wave of her hand, "I just don't get why she's so secretive with me, she had to know you were going to tell me anyways."