060 | it's just for now

"hi baby," Adalyn groaned as she answered the facetime call from her boyfriend, rubbing her eyes as she tried to adjust them to her bright phone screen.

"Hey gorgeous.. Did I wake you up?"

"mhm"

"I'm sorry.." Jack softly frowned as he looked at the girl on the screen. "Did you sleep well last night at least?"

"not really.."

"okay.." he let out a small sigh, glancing away from the phone as thought on how to approach the conversation he's wanting to have. "Are you awake enough to have a serious conversation..?"

"Wha- what do you mean?" she quickly sat up, holding her phone out in front of her face as she furrowed at him.

"Adalyn, I hate to do this over the phone but I think we should put us on pause.." he almost blurted out. "It's just for now. I still love you, I always will but I think we just need some time apart.."

"O- okay.." she stuttered — his words hurting her more then she though even could. "Why?"

"I feel like a lot got thrown at me at once and I kinda felt obligated to forgive you right away and stay with you after you told me that you cheated.. you were staying with us so it just felt wrong at the time to decide anything else.."

"I do believe that you're really sorry for everything that happened, I promise I believe you. And I understand that he took advantage of the fact you were drunk and not thinking straight," he continued "I just wish you would've told me sooner, like after it had happened, not a month later when other stuff was going on.."

"but I need you.." she slightly mumbled. "you help me.."

"You don't need me gorgeous," he softly shook his head. "You can do it on your own. I know you say that you don't feel the need to get drunk when I'm around cause I'm that fix for you.. but if you put the effort in for yourself, you won't even need that fix, you can be happy without it. You can be happy without me."

"but I don't want to break up with you.. I want you in my life, always.."

"I'm not breaking up with you, trust me, it's just a break while we figure ourselves out," he reassured. "I don't want break up with you either, I just want some space for like a couple weeks while I process everything."

"Can I ask you a question..?" she slightly tilted her head as she was still trying to understand what was going on, receiving a nod from him. "Did you leave yesterday knowing you were going to do this?"

"Yes and no.." he confessed. "I've been think about it a lot lately, and I just couldn't sleep last night and I know if I didn't do this now I'd never do it and I'll just end up driving myself crazy. And honestly if I don't have this break now and go straight back into spending all my time with you, I don't know if I then could be my happiest with you."

"Are you not happy when you're with me..?"

"No gorgeous, I've told you this many times over the past couple weeks.. I enjoy being around you, and a lot of the time I much more prefer you over my own bandmates that I've been friends with for years.." he let out an awkward laugh as he glanced away from the screen.

"I'm just saying that if we stay how we are now, just brushing over the situation, it's not gonna end well. If you want us to work out, then you need to let me have a break from us," Jack added, watching the girl on nodded. "I promise I'm not wanting to get with anyone else or anything, I just need some time to myself. I do love you a lot and I want us to work, Adalyn."