Chapter Twenty-Nine

||Dark wings, Dark Words||

Aenge brushed the Princess' hair a little later than normal that morning since Zephyr had chosen to sleep in just this once which earned her a scolding from Aenge, who said "You're the Princess and as far as everyone knows, the actual rightful heir to the Iron  Throne. You need to set a better example."

"You should know better than to question Joffrey's lineage." Zephyr quickly shushed her, "You know he'd cut off more than just your tongue, you know?"

"I know, but just look at him." Aenge whined, seemingly sick of having to even see and do whatever Joffrey commands his people to do.

This made her sighed and turn around to glance at her handmaiden, who looked disgusted at the idea of even sleeping with one of her brothers.

"You don't choose who you love, Aenge. Not if you're a princess, a Queen or King, even if you're a Lord or a Lady. Marriage is a political thing, but you quite literally fuck who you want  to fuck, but love.. Love is something mysterious and I hope you find it one day." Zephyr explained which made the handmaiden look down in shame.

"Now can we drop the topic about my family, please?" The princess turned back around so the girl could resume brushing her hair and getting her ready for the day. "Lady Olenna of Highgarden wants to walk with me."

"Lady Olenna? I'm sure you two will get on just fine then, neither of you really hold back what's on your minds. Seven hells." Aenge mumblöed the last part which made Zephyr chuckle.

"What's so wrong with being straight forward?"

"Well you can absolutely offend someone and still be nice about it, that's what's so wrong."

"Noo.." Zephyr grinned. She liked joking around with Aenge who had been her handmaiden for as long as she could remember. "That's called sarcasm. Sometimes they think it is at least when they don't know what I said was a joke or not."

"And there it is! A confession." Aenge cheered as both women burst out laughing.

~Game of Thrones~

"Ah, there you are my child." Lady Olenna said as she greeted Loras, "And you, my Princess."

"It's lovely to finally meet you as well." Zephyr wore a pleasant smile on her lips as the trio began walking in the Garden. "Tell me, did you expect to be betrothed to Loras? Have you two been sending forbidden ravens to one another?"

"No, it really was unexpected." Loras quickly answered, growing uncomfortable with the insinuations.

"My brother announced we were to be wed completely out of the Blue, Lady Olenna." Zephyr began, "He even threatened that I'd die miserable and alone as long as he was alive."

"What a drama queen that boy is." Olenna sighed.

"Took after his mother." Zephyr mumbled which caused a smirk to grow on Olenna's face.

"I think you're aware of Loras' nature, my Princess?" She asked.

"Of course I am." Zephyr told her as she locked her arm with the Knight, giving him a smile of reassurance. "We've made an agreement, and I promise to try to love him for who he already is, and for who he shall be."

"Oh?" Olenna said, "What do you mean by that?"

"If Joffrey were to meet his inevitable demise, I would become the Queen, and he my King."

"But Margery.." Loras started, "Margery would be Hand of the Queen. Second most Powerful Woman in westeros." Zephyr finished for him.

"Your sister is a sweet and honest one, Loras. I wish no harm to her." Zephyr told the man sincerity clear in her tone as she caressed his cheek with a gentle hand.

"I had a talk with Sansa and Margaery earlier this morning dear... She has told us some disturbing tales about your brother, and I don't doubt her honesty." Lady Olenna began, "But you've known him your whole life. Tell me the truth of your brother's nature, sweet child. Tell it all and tell it true."

The princess had to glance around at her surroundings first to make sure none of her Mother's or Joffrey's spies were present. She was hesitant but she was also about to slander the fuck out of tthe current King of the Seven Kingdoms, thinking twice than not thinking at all was smarter.

"He's always been the favorite child, Joffrey. Mother had always preferred him, Myrcella and Tommen much more than me and I suppose that's where our rivalry started." Zephyr began explaining, plucking up one of the red roses of the garden, admiring it.

"He loved to rub in the fact that I looked nothing like how he and my younger siblings did. How Mother barely had any time for me and wished to avoid me at all costs. But now that Stannis has spread these rumors about his lineage... he realized it himself I think." She told Lady Olenna.

"Realized.. what?" She asked.

"That I'm Robert Baratheon's heir... and he's not. Not him, not Myrcella and not Tommen.." Zephyr confirmed.

"Why he wants me to marry Loras.. My guess is so that he can produce heirs to secure the throne for himself, even if he dies." She finished explaining, and sighed.

"So..It really is a political arrangement." Loras said to himself, "An arrangement that would only benefit his image."

"Indeed, it seems so."

"Princess, and you said you're willing to try to love Loras for who he is now and for who he shall become?" Olenna asked, her features becoming much more serious now.

"I swear it, by the old gods and the new." Zephyr promised, glancing into Loras' eyes, who in turn smiled, happy that he wasn't being judged or humiliated like he would've been if it were anyone else.

"Then let's hope for the worst for your Brother, no offense, he sound's like an entitled little twat." Lady Olenna chuckled.

"Please, he's worse than that. He's more like a rat."