Chapter Fifty-Seven

||A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms||

"When I was a child, my brother would tell me a bedtime story.." Daenerys began as Jaime was brought into the great hall. "about the man who murdered our father. Who stabbed him in the back and cut his throat. Who sat down on the Iron Throne and watched as his blood poured onto the floor"

"Danny, that's enough." Zephyr stated, "He came here to warn us, don't punish him for it."

"He told me other stories as well." Daenerys said, ignoring Zephyr. "About all the things we would do to that man.. once we took back the Seven Kingdoms and had him in our grasp."

"You will not lay a finger on my uncle, Daenerys. Do you hear me?" Zephyr inhaled sharply. He committed treason to warn us that the Lannister army would not be fighting alongside us, and you still dwell on the past and dream about your future when you're not making the decisions to achieve said future?"

"Your mother pledged to send her army north," Daenerys sneered at her friend.

"She did." Jaime cut in before Daenerys could unleash her wrath onto his niece.

"I don't see an army." Daenerys moved her gaze to Jaime. "I see one man with one hand. It appears your sister lied to me."

"She lied to me as well." Jaime admitted. "She never had any intention of sending her army North. She has Euron Greyjoy's fleet and 20 000 fresh troops. The Golden Company from Essos, bought and paid for. Even if we defeated the dead, she'll have more than enough to destroy the survivors."

"We?" Daenerys asked. "I promised to fight for the living. I intend to keep that promise." Jaime said.

"Your Grace, I know my brother.." Tyrion spoke up for Jaime but was swiftly cut off.

"Like you knew your sister?" Daenerys asked, clearly pissed off.

"He came here alone, knowing full well how he'd be received. Why would he do that if he wasn't telling the truth?" Tyrion questioned.

"Perhaps he trusts his little brother or niece to defend him." Daenerys stated as she narrowed her eyes at the family. "Right up to the moment he slits my throat."

"You're right we can't trust him." Sansa agreed, "He attacked my father in the streets, he tried to destroy my House and my Family, the same as he did yours." 

"Do you want me to apologize?" Jaime asked, aggravated. "I won't. We were at war. Everything I did, I did for my House and my Family. I'd do it all again."

"The things we do for love." Bran quoted.

"So why have you abandoned your House and your Family now?" Daenerys questioned the Lannister. 

"Because this goes beyonf loyalty." Jaime answered. "This is about survival."

Then Brienne of Tarth stood, "You don't know me well, Your Grace. But I know Ser Jaime." She stood beside Zephyr's uncle, "He is a man of honor. I was his captor once. But when we were both taken prisoner and the men holding us tried to force themselves on me, Ser Jaime defended me. And lost his hand because of it."

"Without him, my Lady, you would not be alive." Brienne told Sansa. "He armed me, armored me, and sent me to find you and bring you home because he'd sworn an oath to your mother."

Sansa was silent for a moment.

"And you vouch for him?" Sansa asked.

"I do." Brienne stated.

"You would fight beside him?" Sansa asked again.

"I would." Brienne said without hesitation.

Zephyr couldn't help but admire that woman in this moment. She admired her courage and loyalty to her friends.