Chapter Thirty-Two

||Kissed by Fire||

"Gods, boy that's enough. We're not in a tavern." Lady Olenna said to Podrick as he poured her some wine. "Pardon, my lady-" "No need to speak." Olenna waved the man off.

"Are there any figs? Fetch some." The Lady told Pod, "I always take figs midafternoon. They help move the bowels. To what do I owe this summons?" She asked Zephyr and Tyrion, who shared a knowing glance, taking a sip of theri wine in unison.

"Thank you for seeing us, my lady." Tyrion started off, "I had hoped we might discuss a few financial matters."

"I climbed all those steps to discuss financial matters?" Lady Olenna deadpanned.

"It's the royal weddings. I'm told you had a hand in planning it." Tyrion stated.

"Naturally." Olenna responded.

"It's shaping up to be a very involved affair. The word extravagant has been used." Tyrion further went on explaining.

"What good is the word extravagant if it can't be used to describe a royal wedding?" Olenna questioned the man.

"We understand that."

"Good."

"But, as Master of Coin it falls upon me to calculate the cost for the crown. As of now, it's a huge expense."

"And?"

"And we're at war, Lady Olenna." Zephyr spoke up.

"Oh, I'd nearly forgotten." she responded.

"Yes, and maintaining supply lines..."

"I can't think how it slipped my mind." Olenna cut Zephyr off. "What is it, 12 000 Infantrymen the Tyrell family has supplied? 1 800 mounted lances. 2 000 in support. Provisions, so this City might survive the winter. A million bushels of wheat. Half a million  bushels each of barley, oats and rye. 20 000 head of cattle. 50 000 sheep. You don't have to lecture me about wartime expenses. I'm quite familiar with them."

"And we are so grateful for your contributions, which are necessary for the preservation of the realm." Zephyr spoke.

"As are two royal weddings." Olenna stated. "The people are hungry for more than just food. They crave distractions. And if we don't provide them, they create their own. And their distractions are likely to end with us being torn to pieces. Two royal weddings are much safer, wouldn't you say?"

"I would."

"And traditionally paid for by the royal family. I was told you were drunk, impertinent, and thoroughly debauched. You can imagine my disappointment at finding nothing but a browbeaten bookkeeper." Olenna said to Tyrion as Pod finally returned.

"Where did you go for them, Volantis?" Olenna asked the boy.

"My lady.." Tyrion starte but was cut off also.

"Very well. I won't have it said that House Tyrell refused to play its part. We'll pay for half, and the celebrations will go on as planned. Is that sufficient?" Olenna said and stood, making Tyrion and Zephyr stand as well. "Quite. Thank you."

"Very good then. That's settled. Good day." And the Lady Olenna of House Tyrell left, just like that.

Tyrion was rather dumbfounded by the woman, "Give me that." He said to Pod as he took a fig for himself.

~Game of Thrones~