The One That Got Away (Part Two)

Y/N's Perspective
Friday, 12/02/2021
Hurricane Hospital, Hurricane, Utah

I sat in my car out the front of the hospital, the engine idling as I sat there nervously tapping the steering wheel.

"Hey... hey, Y/N!" I rolled my eyes and turned my music down, looking out my driver's side window to see no one other than Bailey approaching me.

"Morning, Bailey." I said flatly, giving him the most bored look I could muster.

"I heard what happened to your old man, Y/N..." He said, looking across the road at the hospital briefly. "You know prosthetics cost a lot, right?"

I sighed, hitting my steering wheel with my head. "Yes, I know prosthetics cost a lot of money. Almost the same amount as getting dad fucking admitted cost." I rested my head against the steering wheel, sighing again. "Where am I gonna get this money...?"

"You could always try selling your car." Bailey suggested, making me scowl at him.

"Are you fucking kidding me, man?" I asked, sounding quite agitated. "I'd never sell this girl, she's priceless to me. How many times do I have to say it?"

Bailey stepped back from the car and raised his hands defensively. "It was just a suggestion, man. Cool it."

I pulled the key from the ignition and threw the door open, stepping out and slamming it shut behind me. "Maybe think of a better suggestion next time, then." I said with a scowl as I walked past him, heading across the road and into the hospital.

"Hey, I'm here to see Harrison Summerfeld." I said to the ginger lady sitting on the other side of the desk as I walked up to it.

"You're Y/N Summerfeld?" The lady at the desk asked, looking at me from over her glasses. I nodded, and she looked back at her computer. "Intensive Care Unit. He's in bed 27."

"Thank you." I said, giving the lady a nod before heading towards the ICU.

It didn't take me long to find Dad, and I was more relieved than anything that he was there, breathing and alive.

"Y/N?" He asked, looking up at me.

"In the flesh, old man..." I replied, smiling down at him. "Glad to see me?"

"I... I thought I'd never see you again..." Dad said quietly, reaching up with his remaining arm and touching my cheek. "I'm... I'm glad you're okay, son..."

"I feared I wouldn't be able to come and say goodbye..." I whispered, taking his hand and holding it gently between mine.

Our moment was interrupted by a young doctor tapping me on the shoulder. "Are you Y/N?" He asked, sighing as I nodded. "Could you please come this way with me?"

I let go of Dad's hand and gave him a sad smile before leaving the room, following the doctor.

"I'm assuming that you're aware that your father is in a terrible condition, yes?" The young doctor, whose name was Murphy, said to me as we started walking down a corridor.

I nodded. "I did notice he was missing an arm, so it was slightly obvious." I remarked.

"Under closer examination, we came to the conclusion that whoever, or whatever, attacked him and burned your home down was trying to kill your family." He said solemnly. "The damage done to the nerves and flesh on the wound suggest his arm was... removed with brute force."

"I kinda knew that bit..." I said, looking away from the doctor as we stopped in front of a set of elevators and he pressed the call button. "But what can we do about his arm? Can we get some sort of prosthetic, or a bionic implant or something?"