3. What's That About?

POV: Alicia

We walk the black carpet, pose for photos.
We walk into the hall and it looks breathtaking.
The table runners were black linen, centerpieces had white roses, black and gold cutlery, candles and fairy lights above. The room looked romantic and elegant.

"Are you ready for your speech?" I ask him.

"Ready as can be." He answers and shifts uncomfortably in his chair making me laugh a little.
He speaks very well but I know public speaking is not his favourite thing to do. Especially when the cause hits close to home.

Speaker after speaker took the stage before the MC began the charity auction. There was a designer dress, a few paintings, an island getaway and a ski weekend which Harrison bought for $30000. He looks at me with a wink and I smile back. God bless this man's heart.

Finally, Harrison takes the stage, squeezing my hand before he stands.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is wonderful to have you all here tonight supporting such a worthy cause that is near and dear to me. Together we get to give a lot of people a leg up in life and I know it means a lot to them. I know this I was on the receiving end of organizations like this and today I am proud to be among the donors. I want to encourage us that we never let generosity be a stranger to our lives.
Thank you for your generosity tonight. Enjoy the rest of your evening. Eat, drink and be merry."

He leaves the stage to applause and shakes a few hands before sitting down and gulping down my champagne. I laugh and jokingly slap his thigh.

"I needed it." He shrugs.

Dinner arrives and it's delicious. I had a baked, stuffed salmon and for dessert I could not pass up the petite carrot cake. I definitely went for seconds and Harrison couldn't resist laughing. He knows I'm not shy around good food.

After dinner the MC announces that the dance floor is open. The dance floor was lively with everyone having fun and dancing.

I am dancing with my husband and he seems relaxed. He has seemed a little stressed the last couple of days but he said he was fine. I didn't want to push him, he knows I'm here when he is ready to talk.

"I'm proud of you." I say to him and he smiles shyly. He's very successful and still kept his integrity and character plus he never forgets to lend a helping hand.

"I love you." He says and kisses my forehead.

I grab Monica's hand and we head to the bathroom. Thankfully it was not full.
While washing our hands a pregnant woman steps out of the stall and joins us.

"Alicia Rogers right?" She says looking at me in the mirror.

"Yes I am." I respond turning to face her.

"I was at your book launch. Loved your book."

"Oh thank you so much. And congratulations, you must be excited." I say with a smile looking at her growing baby bump.

"Thank you. I wish the father was matching my excitement." She says rubbing her bump, "but he'll come around after tonight...hopefully. Anyway enjoy your evening ladies." She says with a big smile and creepy wink. With that she walks out to join the party.

"What was that about?" I ask Monica as we walk out of the bathroom.

"Beats me, and that wink?" We chuckle.
As we approach the party, we bump into Harrison who looks like he's seen a ghost.

"Hey honey. Are you okay?" I ask him.

"Yeah," then he kisses my hand then soft peck on the lips and smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes. Something happened I just don't know what. We go back and continue dancing and laughing.