11. Storm Brewing

Trigger warning: this chapter contains some mention of domestic violence. Please skip if you are uncomfortable. Take care of yourself.

POV: Alicia

That whisky was much needed after what I just heard from Leslie. I was in shock and needed a minute to gather myself. She looked bad when she walked into the house and on any given day I would have blown a fuse but I froze when I saw the fresh blackeye and fear in her eyes. She looked like someone had put her through a serious beating. I immediately felt sorry for her and wanted to offer some solace. 

Harrison looked like he was trying to keep it together but I know he was feeling conflicted, mostly because of his and our history with Leslie. I think he was waiting for me to make a move. I did the only that made sense in that moment, as conflicted as I was. I was not even sure why I did that.

I took her to the guest room on the other side of the house. I let her take a shower while I watched her kid. When she came out of the bathroom she looked better but still scared. I was determined to find out what happened to her.

"So what happened?" I asked her and she sat down on the bed.

"My fiancé happened." She said gesturing to her blackeye. I stay silent trying to imagine what kind of person would do this to someone they claim to love.

"He's the father of my son." She says pointing to the sleeping toddler. "We used to be so in love. I missed all the signs. It started with ugly words and followed by getting slapped around and rewarded with apology jewellery. We got engaged and it got worse. He became a wild animal and more erratic with all his drinking." She says and start crying and I am frozen in my seat.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I thought he was going to kill me. I just took our son and ran." She continues to sob bitterly. It breaks my heart to hear but for some reason I still have not left my seat. 

"Why did you stay with him?" I asked and wished I could take it back because it sounded so insensitive, but she chuckled and wiped a tear away.

"He promised to destroy my life and career if I left. He did horrible things to me." She started sobbing again.

"Look you don't have to talk about it if you don't want." I say but she continues and what she tells me, sent chills down my spine.

Her fiancé is also her manager and controls her in every way. He beat her up several times landing her in hospital on some. He raped her and even forced her to have sex with his friends. He threatened their child if she refused any of his abusive and disgusting advances. All this was hard to hear. I helped her into bed and walked out.

That whisky was to calm my nerves. Harrison looked anxious when I walked out of the kitchen. Now I am in the shower crying and wishing I could wash off the cringe I was feeling. I came out of the bathroom with a towel around me and find Harrison sitting on the bed. He lifts his head when he hears me come in the bedroom. I can't read his expression, it's like a mixture of worry and guilt.

I walk to him and sit in his lap and put my hands around his neck with his around my waist. We stay in a hug for a few minutes as I cried softly and he consoled me until I calmed down.

"Are you okay?" He asks softly and I turn to face him and nod.

"Thank you." I say.

"For what?"

"For being an amazing husband, incredible father and wonderful human being." I say and kiss him.

He smiles and kisses me back. I move to straddle him. I take his shirt off and when I try to remove his pants he stops me.