02

𝖳𝖱𝖮𝖲𝖳 𝖣𝖨𝖲𝖳𝖱𝖨𝖢𝖳 𝖧𝖨𝖦𝖧 𝖲𝖢𝖧𝖮𝖮𝖫

𝗢𝗖𝗧𝗢𝗕𝗘𝗥 𝟯𝗥𝗗 , 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮
𝟳:𝟯𝟬 𝗔𝗠

— 👻🔪 —

the following morning, the students at trost district high school (tdhs) find the school's courtyard full of reporters and police officers. there are vans from local stations parked on both sides of the streets, taking up the space unoccupied by police cars.

students who arrive in cars slow down upon seeing all the ruckus. and those who walk to school have to work their way through the crowd of officers and reporters and concerned parents just to see what's going on.

a white jeep slowly inches it's way down the small lane, stuck behind a few buses and some other cars. inside the car sits four seniors: y/n l/n, connie springer, sasha braus, and jean kirschtein. they all have their faces pressed against the windows as they get closer and closer to the school, curiously wondering what on earth is going on.

"is it too late to turn back?" jean yawns and softly throws his head back against the seat with shut eyes.

connie glances at the rear view mirror with tired eyes. he sees four cars already parked behind him. with a sigh, he nods. "mhm."

y/n drags a hand down her face with a groan. it's too early in the morning for this, y/n decides.

just a few hours ago she was drinking and dancing and smoking—and a three hour nap is not enough time to recover from all that.

"have you figured out what's going on?" jean asks the girl beside him, peeling an eye open to look at sasha.

sasha nods, "yeah. according to mikasa, two girls were murdered last night. she didn't say who or how, but that's all she was able to get before she was shoved inside."

they all fall silent. two girls murdered? last night?

different thoughts run through their heads. they're all trying to figure out who could have been murdered and how, while also trying not to feel so guilty. while they were partying, two of their classmates were getting murdered. a cloud of guilt begins to form above their heads.

about ten minutes later, connie able to park his jeep in the student parking lot with all the other cars. the group of four grab their things from the trunk and slowly start to get closer to the school. the crowd of police and reporters only seems to have gotten worse.

"... and i'm standing here in front of trost district high school, home to historia reiss and ymir shadis. last night, the couple was found dead in the home of mayor reiss."

they over hear one reporter say.

"last night, mayor rod reiss' daughter was found dead with her girlfriend in the mayor's home. but i only have one question: was this a hate crime?"

another says.

y/n's lip trembles and her eyes well up with tears as she hears everything the reporters have to say. ymir and historia. they were the ones killed last night.

sasha quietly reaches for y/n's hand without a word as they get escorted into the school by police officers.

"damn." whispers jean.

instead of dropping their things off at their lockers, the group of four head up to the third floor. connie leads them to the end of the hallway—to the bathroom.

on the third floor of their school is a set of bathrooms. one for the guys and one for the girls. no one ever uses the girls' bathroom on this floor though. they say it's because it's haunted by a vengeful ghost. this works in the group's favor though. seeing as no one will go in there, y/n and her friends have taken it upon themselves to make it their spot.

as soon as jean pulls the door open for the girls (and connie of course), they're met with the faces belonging to their other friends. y/n's friend group doesn't just consist of jean kirschtein, connie springer, and sasha braus. they're just part her immediate circle of friends.

y/n's other friends are evenly dispersed around the bathroom. the girls bathroom on the third floor is much bigger than the bathrooms on the first and second. in the back of the room are spacious stalls. six of them to be specific. on the far end of the room is a frosted window and below it, a storage bench. stretching across the wall in front of the stalls are automatic sinks built into countertops. and there's a long mirror built into the wall. soap dispensers are located on each end of the room, beside the mirror, and a paper towel dispenser is located by the door; right above the trash can.

mikasa ackerman sits on the ottoman beside annie leonhart. they're sharing a cigarette and a can of monster. then, leaning back against the counters is eren jeager and armin arlert. one holds a plastic cup of starbucks coffee while the other holds a tin can of arizona green tea.

armin doesn't hesitate to push himself off of the counter and cross the room to pull y/n into a hug as soon as she comes into the room. everyone watches as y/n fights off tears. they turn their heads and let them have this moment.

this was probably really hard on y/n.

connie, jean, and sasha slowly spill into the room and find a spot to sit. sasha pulls herself onto the counter space beside eren, jean sits down beside mikasa, and connie plops down on the floor. they all slowly start to bring up memories they had with ymir and historia.

before their unfortunate deaths, historia and ymir were part of their group. they used to hang out with them whenever they weren't out on nice dates.

armin slowly lets y/n go after a moment and pulls her over to the sinks. where he leans his ass back against the counter and let's y/n lean back against him. like a back hug! he also gives her the tall starbucks coffee he bought on the way in this morning.

"i heard they were strung up by their intestines." eren states all of a sudden, earning a few weird looks from his friends.

"how does that even work?" mikasa asks.

she asked the one question everyone else wanted to ask. how could someone string up people by their innards? it was a genuine question.

eren throws his head back to down his peach flavored tea. "you have to like... cut them open and pull the guts out you know? it's a very tedious process." eren says.

everyone misses the glare armin sends eren, except for eren himself. he audibly oh's before adding: "or so i've heard."

armin rolls his eyes.

"that's horrible." annie whispers.

sasha nods with a solemn frown.

the late bell rings and everyone sighs. "i guess i'll see you dorkwads at lunch." eren sighs, finishing off his tea. he grabs his bag off the floor, "see 'ya losers." he yawns, exiting the room.

sasha, jean, and connie follow suite, and following them is mikasa and annie. soon enough, armin and y/n have the bathroom to themselves.

as soon as the door slams shut, y/n is wrapped up in armin's arms again. she digs her nose into armin's chest while he sets his chin on the crown of her head.

"don't worry," he whispers softly, "it'll be okay."