Chapter 4

Darryl/Bbh POV

I sit there with Zak for what feels like forever.

I know that I'll probably be in so much trouble for skipping school, but seeing Zak's smile makes everything worth it.

Eventually, the sun starts to set. I can still see my surroundings, but I need to get home. Upon checking my phone, I see the time is five o' clock, and I know I need to get home.

"This was amazing Zak," I say quietly, not wanting to startle the boy. "But I need to get home now, and I'm sure you have to do the same."

He looks at me with a smile, but my heart aches knowing the fact that he's faking his happiness, and he's able to do it so easily.

"You're right." He says, making grabby hands for me to help him up.

I pull the shorter boy to standing, and he gives me a quick hug.

"Thanks again for everything, Darryl. You really made my day!" His smile seems more genuine this time, and I can't help but grin back.

"It's nothing, really. Do you want me to walk you home, you muffin?"

Zak's eyes light up. "You'll do that for me? I'd love that! Thank you!"

He's bouncing on his feet, the usual charm he carries is back.

We walk for about ten minutes, and I'm surprised to see that Zak only lives a few streets over from me. I could walk to his house faster then I can walk to school.

"Hey, we live super close! That's cool!" I giggle.

"Really?" He asks, "We should hang out soon!"

I nod. "Well, I have to get going, but I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow." He agrees with a smile.

I walk down his street, alone this time. It's so peaceful. The sky isn't dark yet, but the sky is painted with pinks and oranges. The clouds make it look like cotton candy.

By the time I get home, I realize I'm going to be in trouble.

As soon as I open the door to my house, both my mother and father look at me. My father, in his nature of ignoring me, looks away as soon as he sees it's me.

My mother on the other hand is mad.

"Where have you been? I got a call from your school, where did you go? Sneaking away with some boy? You pathetic creature." She snarls, slapping me across the face.

"At first I thought you got lost, but I wouldn't really care. Our family would be better without a mistake like you."

I can feel my eyes welling with tears, but I know that if I show my pain I'll just be in more trouble.

"I'm sorry I worried you, mom. I was just, um, exploring, and I lost track of time."

"I was with a girl." I quickly add, in hopes to make my mother less angry.

It works, she smiles at me. "Really? Is she your girlfriend? What's her name?"

"Oh, um, we're not dating yet. Her name is...Zoey?" I try to sound convincing.

"Well I'm glad you're finally getting better. Just don't fall behind on your studies!" She laughs, and I just murmur something about homework.

As soon as I get to my room, I burst into tears. Of course my mother would lash out at me, but as soon as she hears the slightest possibility that I'm straight, or "fixed" as she would say, she loves me again.