Chapter 21

Epilogue

Senior Graduation Day

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

Third Person POV:

"We did it!" Ant shouts, pumping his fists in the air. "We're finally free!"

The whole group is standing together, laughing giddily. After all this time, finally done with high school.

A lot has changed since Darryl told his parents about his relationship with Zak, and most of it for the better. After calling his parents and talking on the phone for hours upon hours, they agreed to let him stay with his aunt a few miles away. He hasn't talked to his parents since.

Clay and George officially got together pretty quickly, this time with nothing to hide. With the forgiveness of (almost) all of Zak's friends, they were welcomed back into the group.

Of course, Zak and Darryl are still together, and very happy. Spending almost every waking moment together, and often non-waking moments as well. Antfrost and Velvet too.

The graduation ceremonies have just finished, everyone ecstatic to finally be done with school. Of course, some of the friends plan on going to college, but not all.

"So, there's a sort of party at the park tonight. Do we wanna go to that?" Cara asks, checking her phone.

"It'll be our last chance of a high school party, of course we're going!" Zak shouts, grinning with excitement.

"That's a good thing." Darryl says, shaking his head. "How do you guys like those? It's just a bunch of kids doing stuff they're not supposed to."

"Aw, I thought you liked parties after I confessed my love to you at one." Zak wraps his boyfriend in a bear hug, lifting him slightly off the ground.

After being actually together for a while, the pair had ended up telling all their friends about how they'd pretended for almost a month. Naturally, everyone thought it was hilarious.

"I can't believe we're actually done with high school. I'm actually going to miss the place." Harvey frowns. "We better all stay friends."

"Don't worry, we'll be BFFs FOREVER!" Rose mocks.

The group continues to laugh for a while, until Zak pulls his boyfriend away from the crowd, eager for some time alone.

"I'm going to miss you so much." Zak whines, laying his head in Darryl's lap. "Why do you have to go to college?"

"I'll miss you more, you know you can visit anytime." Darryl runs his fingers through Zak's hair, a slight smile on his face. "And we have the summer to spend every day together."

Sitting up, Zak pulls himself in Darryl's lap. "One day," Zak giggles, kissing Darryl's nose. "I'm going to marry you, and then I'll get to spend forever with you."

Blushing, Darryl covers his face. "You're such a muffin head."

"I'm your muffin head."

"Yep. All mine." Darryl kisses his boyfriend, a feeling of pure happiness washing over him.

Someone clears their throat from behind the boys, causing them to look up.

It's Darryl's parents.

"Hi, sweetheart. Can we...talk to you?" His mom asks, both parents looking nervous.

"What is there to talk about? I thought we weren't talking to each other anymore." Darryl's expression is cold, no sympathy showing.

"We can see you and Zak are still-" His dad trails off. "Anyways, we realize we may have been a little harsh with you. Clearly, you two love each other very much."

"What about it?"

"The point is, we're sorry. And we want to be able to be a family again. Can you forgive us?" Darryl's mother asks pleadingly.

After a moment, Darryl speaks. "Here's the thing, I don't think you guys are actually sorry. I don't think you guys actually care about me.

Gently tugging Zak off his lap, Darryl stands up. "Every day, I would hate coming home from school. Every day, I had to keep secrets from you, lie to you. All because I didn't want to get hurt. Do you have any idea how it felt? Being called a mistake by my parents just because of the people I loved? You don't know, because you never had to deal with that."

"We realize our mistake, we know that what we did was-"

"No. I don't think you do realize. Because if you did, you would have apologized years ago. Or maybe, you wouldn't have acted like that in the first place. Even now, you can't even admit out loud that Zak and I are dating. Even now, you're embarrassed of me. Why?"

"It takes some getting used to, you have to admit." His father tries.

"You had the last six years to get used to it, ever since I told you I was pan. How long do you need? Because I think I've waited long enough. Even Zak's parents were better parents than you!"

Zak just watches the whole encounter from the place he'd been sitting, in awe at the confrontation.

"I'm glad you loved me enough to watch me graduate, but I'm done with you guys. This day is supposed be full of happy people, happy memories. Both of which do not include you. So if you'll excuse me, I would like to spend some time with my boyfriend and my friends before I go off to college. Goodbye."

With that, Darryl reaches for Zak's hand, and drags him back to their friends. Leaving his parents in stunned silence.

"Oh my god, Dar, that was amazing!"

"What can I say? They've needed to hear that for a while. Besides, if they actually care they'll show that by coming to our wedding one day." Darryl laughs, blushing slightly.

Zak's face lights up with happiness. "So you do want to marry me one day?"

"Who else would I want to spend my life with? Right after I finish school." Darryl kisses his boyfriend's cheek.

The boy's friends are still standing in a circle by the entrance to the school, laughing and bantering with each other.

"And besides," Darryl starts, "My real family is right here. With you guys."

"I'll miss you." Zak sighs.

"Well, let's enjoy each other while we can. C'mon, don't we have a party tonight?"

"Yeah, we do."

Fingers twined together, the boys make their way to their friends, excited to start a new chapter of their lives.

○ ● ○ ● ○ ● ○ ● ○ ●

1112 Words

*End of Chapter 21*

And that's a wrap! I loved every moment of writing this story, and I'm so, so thankful for all the support I've gotten along the way. Can't wait to start my next story! As always, let me know what stories you would like to see next! Love you all <3

Please vote if you liked this chapter :)

Remember to eat, drink water, and get sleep because you deserve it <3