Chapter 16

Bbh/Darryl POV

With the weekend over, I'm nervous about going back to school.

Last night, I got a text from Clay asking if we could talk this week, along with Zak.

I have no idea how Clay got my number, or what he wants to talk about, but there's no way it's good.

Zak doesn't know about Clay wanting to meet yet, but I have a feeling that we're not going to be getting out of this. I'll mention the situation to Zak on the way to school today.

We've started walking together every day, meeting at his house as not to make my mother angry. She may have been super nice to the boy while he was at my house, but she's now made it very clear that Zak is not welcome in our home.

I text Zak, asking if I can come a bit early so we can get breakfast, and he agrees.

Once I've showered and dressed, it's almost seven, so I hurry downstairs. My father is sitting on the couch, but as usual, acts like I'm not there. He doesn't even look in my direction.

When I get to Zak's house, I'm surprised to see him waiting outside for me.

He's shivering while just standing on the front step, but as soon as he sees me, his eyes light up.

"Hi, Dar!" Zak runs up to me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

I hug back, surprised at his excitement.

My cheeks are lighting up right now, and I turn away, trying to hide it.

"You ready to go?" I ask.

"Yep." Zak grins, grabbing my hand.

We walk in a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's company.

We aren't holding hands anymore, but our pinky fingers stay linked together.

As we near the Cafe, I decide I should probably tell Zak about Clay.

I take a deep breath. "Hey, Zak?"

"Hm?"

"I don't really know how to say this, but Clay wants to talk to both of us today, and I think we should give him a chance? I don't know. George was able to learn from his mistakes, so maybe Clay can too."

The shorter boy just stays silent.

"It's fine if you don't want to. I just feel like he'll approach you either way so we might as well do it peacefully."

Zak untangles our pinkies, and instead links his arm with mine.

"I'm willing to go if you'll be there." He says in a soft voice.

"You don't have to." I remind him.

"I know, but he hasn't really harassed me much lately. I take that as a good sign."

We smile at each other, stepping into the Cafe. It's the same one we went to last week, and to my surprise, the same girl is at the front counter.

"Hi there!" She smiles sweetly, "What can I get for you boys?"

"Give me hot chocolate!" Zak almost shouts, "And a cookie!"

"Zak! Be polite." I scoff, "Sorry about that, Niki. I'll just have a small coffee."

I go to pay, but Zak smacks a card down on the counter.

"Let me spoil you." He smirks.

I start to say something, but stop as I feel my ears burning. "Whatever," I mumble.