Chapter 13

Skeppy/Zak POV

I go to pick up Darryl for our "date" and am greeted by his mother.

She puts on a big smile and welcomes me into the house.

I feel slightly uncomfortable with the way she keeps her gaze pinned on me, but I don't say anything.

"Darryl! Your ride is here!" She shouts up the stairs before turning back towards me. "So, what are you boys planning on doing today? You both seem much too fancy for a casual hangout."

I remember Darryl saying how horrible his parents had been to him when he came out, so he surely didn't say he was going on a date with his boyfriend.

Dammit Dar, why didn't you give me a cover story?

I try to look unfazed, hoping my friend will get downstairs before I have a chance to answer the question.

"He didn't tell you? That's surprising, he was so excited."

Just as I hoped, Darryl comes down the stairs at that very moment. He's wearing a deep black suit and his hair is perfectly styled. I can't help but blush at the sight, but quickly look away, not wanting either of the other people in the room to see.

"Hey, bro." I try to make it seem as far from us dating as possible. "Your mom was just asking about what we're doing, I'm surprised you haven't told her."

He looks relieved to hear I haven't said anything. "I did tell her. We're going out with our girlfriends, remember? You can meet Zoey soon, I promise."

I try to play along. "You'll love Zoey!" I tell Darryl's mother with a smile, "She's so polite, and your son treats her so well. They really are the perfect couple."

His mother visibly relaxes and gives us a sweet smile. "Well then, I don't want you to be late. You boys have fun!" She rushes us out the door, and we can't leave fast enough.

Once we get to the car, I open the passenger door for Darryl. "After you, handsome."

He smiles and gets in the vehicle. "There's no one around, why are you being so romantic?"

I shrug as I get into my side of the car. "You deserve it. Oh, and here's a rose for you." I hand him a deep red rose that matches the accents of his suit, and now, the color of his checks.

He shakes his head slightly, but still looks happy at my gesture, tucking the flower into the front pocket of his jacket. I smile at his happiness.

The drive is short, but Darryl can't stop asking where we're going.

"You'll see." I tell him over and over again before I finally pull up to an upscale restaurant. "Oh, look at that, we're here."

His jaw drops. "How much will this cost? I don't know if I can afford this..."

I wrap an arm around his shoulders. "I'm taking you on this date, so therefore, I am paying for you. Now hurry, the others are already here."

He tries to protest, but I just lead us inside.

Velvet and Ant are waiting for us in the lobby, and Darryl runs up to hug his friend.

I can hear them talking about how amazing this all is as I walk to greet Velvet.

As the boys said, this place is incredible.

The lobby has high ceilings and golden crystal chandeliers. There are red, velvety seats to sit on while you wait for a table, and the far wall is a clear glass structure with changing colored lights and bubbling water.