Chapter 1 - Arthur's Bane, part one

For the first in three years it was quiet. Bit as for today. Merlin was running through the hallways and was searching in every room. “Hello?!” Merlin called. “Hello?!” Then, he bumped into someone. “Sorry.” Runs up to Arthur.

“Well?” Arthur asked to him.

Merlin was panting heavily. “I've searched everywhere.”

“Merlin, it's not just me you're keeping waiting.” Arthur told him.

“How is it my fault!?” Merlin asked to him.

“The Queen can't just disappear.” Arthur replied to him.

“Well, where is she?” Merlin asked.

Arthur sighed, angry. “That's what I sent you to find out!”

“Do you know how big this castle is?” Merlin asked.

“Funnily enough, I do.” Arthur replied to him.

“Then perhaps you should have a look.” Merlin comment.

Arthur sighed. “Merlin, is there anything you're actually capable of doing?”

“Putting up with you.” Merlin replied.

“Oh, well...” Arthur was interrupted.

“Ahem.” Isabelle cleared her throat.

Arthur looked up to see Isabelle on the stairs with Sefa and Ava following her. “Isa.”

“I'm sorry I'm late.” Isabelle apologised. “The little one (Charlotte) was very keen to keep me busy and then, Benjamin talked about how he wanted to get better at sword fighting.”

“Late? Not at all. Plenty of time.” Arthur and Isabelle entered the throne room side by side. Merlin and Ava, Sefa entered behind them, side by side. “Noble Knights of Camelot, countrymen, friends. I welcome you to this meeting of the Round Table. For three long years, we have been blessed with peace and prosperity. But now, it seems a shadow has been cast across our lands.” Arthur spoke to them all. “Sir Gwaine set off for Ismere some six weeks ago. With him went three score of our finest men. There has been no word from them since.” He talked further. “At my request, Sir Elyan led a search party to the wastelands of the north. He found no trace of Gwaine or his men. It is as if they have vanished from the face of the Earth.”

Elyan pointed to the map set on the table. “We know Gwaine and his men crossed the pass, here, at Isulfor. But beyond that, there was no trace. The trail went cold.”

Arthur looked at him. “What of this story that the fortress of Ismere has been occupied once more?”

“I heard many rumours, Sire. All of them had one name in common... Morgause.” Elyan replied to him.

“Then we have no time to lose.” Arthur told them all.

“What if the rumours are true, Sire? You may be walking into a trap.” Gaius spoke up concerned.

“The Knights of Camelot do not abandon their own.” Arthur replied to him.

“Morgause knows that. She'll be waiting for you.” Gaius told him.

“These men have fought for me, bled for me...” Arthur was interrupted.

Isabelle pointed at the map. “May I make a suggestion? What if you were to take a different route? Approach Ismere from the West.”

“Through Annis' lands?” Arthur asked.

“It would certainly take Morgause by surprise.” Gaius replied.