Chapter 9 - With All My Heart

Isabelle was walking through a dark  corridor in the castle, keeping to the shadows and was just about to leave when Percival saw her. “You there! Show yourself.” Isabelle turned around to face him, to his surprise. “Your Highness. Are you alright? Is something wrong?”

“No, no. All is well.” Isabelle replied.

“It's dangerous to be out at such an hour.” Percival told her.

Isabelle looked at him. “I am grateful you are so scrupulous in your duties.”

“It's not where I thought to have found you, Your Highness.” Percival told her.

Isabelle told him. “One does not always wish to be ‘Your Highness’, Percival. I miss the old town, its streets, its people, so I go back sometimes.”

“Is that wise?” Percival asked.

“Well, people only see a Queen when they expect to.” Isabelle replied.

“All the same...” Percival was interrupted.

Isabelle looked at him. “And it reminds me of Abel... and I need that sometimes.”

Percival nodded. “Of course. I understand.”

“I'm not sure Arthur would.” Isabelle comment.

Percival looked at her. “I won't mention it.”

“Thank you.” Isabelle told him, she had a small smile on her face.

----------------

Moments later, Isabelle was meeting Morgause in the woods. “You're late.” Morgause told her.

Isabelle looked at her. “I'm sorry.”

“Was there a problem?” Morgause asked to her.

“Nothing I could not handle.” Isabelle replied.

Morgause looked at her. “Did you get what I asked for?”

Isabelle handed Morgause a scroll. “It wasn't easy. It details the route the levy collection will take, the names of the knights, their arms, and the day they depart.”

“You've done well, Isabelle.” Morgause grabbed it.

Isabelle looked at her. “How can it further our cause?”

--------------

Arthur was watching Isabelle talking with Morgause. He couldn’t hear them, but he grabbed his sword as Merlin stopped him, Ava next to him. “No, my lord! Morgause’s too powerful. Now is not the time.”

“How could she do this?” Arthur asked.

“She's not the Isa you love. She has fallen pray to a dark and powerful magic.” Merlin replied.

Arthur sighed. “If I lose her, I lose everything.”

“We'll find a way to bring her back, Arthur. I promise.” Merlin told him.

“We promise.” Ava added. “I miss my friend.”

--------------------------

Arthur and Isabelle were having breakfast in theirs chambers. Arthur was staring at her. His plate was full and he held a piece of food in one hand but doesn’t eat it. “I thought I might ride this morning.” Isabelle spoke up.

Arthur looked up. “Yes?”

“Would you like to join me?” Isabelle asked him.

“That won't be possible.” Arthur replied.

Isabelle looked disappointed. “Oh. Perhaps this afternoon then?”

“Perhaps.” Arthur replied.

Isabelle looked at him. “Arthur, is everything all right?”

“What do you mean?” Arthur asked back.

“You seem distracted.” Isabelle replied.

Arthur looked at her. “Not at all. Pressing matters of state, that's all. I'm sorry.”

“I understand.” Isabelle nodded. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

Arthur shook his head. “That won't be necessary.” Then, he got up and leaves, with his food hardly touched.

“You've hardly eaten!” Isabelle shouted after him.

“I have a training session I must attend to.” Arthur called back.

“Well, perhaps I will see you later?” Isabelle asked, but Arthur was already gone.

-------------------------

Merlin and Ava were looking for spells to help Isabelle in Gaius’s chambers. Ava had their son wrapped into a blanket around her. “Why did I promise to help Isabelle? I have no idea what to do. Is there really no remedy?” Merlin asked to them.

Gaius looked grim. “If Isabelle has suffered what I suspect then no, I fear not.”

“You know what happened to her?” Ava asked to him.

Gaius looked at them. “When I was young, I heard about an ancient ritual of the Old Religion called the Teine Diaga.”

“Teine Diaga?” Merlin and Ava asked almost on the same time.

Gaius looked at them. “The sacred fire. The ritual used the mandrake root to bring unimaginable terror to the victim. Their screams could be heard twenty leagues away. When it was finally over, their will was no longer their own. They were slaves of the high priestesses for eternity.”

“Who performed this ritual? Where?” Merlin asked.

Gaius looked at them. “I've told you all I know. Such mysteries were revealed only to a handful of female initiates. As a boy, I was privy only to rumours.”

“There must be someone who can help.” Merlin told him.

“I can only think of two people who truly know the Old Ways.” Gaius looked at them. “One is Morgause...”

-----------------------------

Later, Merlin lead the way into the physician’s quarters, speaking to Gaius and Ava about what the Dochraid told him. “There are too many things to go wrong. And summoning the White Goddess? That may be beyond me.”

Gaius looked at him. “I think not. Merlin, the only person who ever doubts your power is you.”

“You are stronger than me.” Ava added, looking at Merlin.

“And even if I do manage that, we need to get Isabelle to the Cauldron in the first place and she's hardly likely to go willingly.” Merlin told them.

“I've already thought of that.” Gaius showed Merlin and Ava a potion.

Merlin took the potion bottle and inspected it. “Tincture of Belladona?”

“All that studying has already paid off.” Gaius replied.

Merlin looked at him. “It's a powerful and dangerous drug, Gaius.”

Ava looked him as well. “I agree with him.”

“More dangerous than the traitor in the heart of Camelot?” Gaius asked them.

Merlin looked at them. “Besides, Isabelle needs to be conscious when she enters the Cauldron. She must do so of her own free will or the spell will not be broken.”

Gaius nodded. “That, I agree, may not be within our powers.”

“Well then, the rest is futile.” Merlin comment.

“But there is for someone whom it is possible.” Gaius told them.

Merlin frowned. “Arthur?”

Gaius nodded in confirmation. “Only he can reach the part of Isabelle that remains true.”

“It won't work.” Merlin comment.

“Oi.” Ava scolded him.

Gaius looked at him. “You underestimate the power of love, Merlin.”

---------------

Arthur, Gaius, Ava and Merlin were talking privately in a hidden room. “This tincture of Belladona, what are its effects?” Arthur asked them.

“The patient is rendered into a deep sleep.” Gaius replied to him.

“Patient?!” Arthur exclaimed, blinking.

Gaius looked at him. “It is generally used for the badly wounded.”

“How long does it last?” Arthur asked.

“A few hours. It has to be administered several times a day to provide a continuous sleep.” Gaius replied.

“But for no more than three days.” Ava added.

Gaius nodded. “It is true, Sire. The tincture should not be taken for an extended period.”

“Or?” Arthur dared to ask.

“The body will not tolerate it.” Merlin replied.

“Thank you, Merlin.” Arthur was clearly irritated.

“Three days is time enough to ride to the Cauldron of Arianrhod.” Gaius told the men.

“You've done the journey yourself, have you?” Arthur asked.

“I cannot claim to...” Gaius was interrupted.

Arthur looked at him. “Any mishap, any unexpected circumstance will...”

“There is no reason to suspect that all will not go well. My Lord, if we do nothing, Isabelle is already taken from you.” Gaius told him.

“Merlin?” Arthur asked as then they looked at each other and agreed to do this. “So, Merlin has to do this ritual?”

Gaius nodded. "It is a ritual that can only be performed by a sorcerer. It is the only way, Sire. Sorcery has to be fought with sorcery.”

“Hmmm.” Arthur frowned.

Gaius looked at him. “To save your Queen, to save your wife.”

“Very well. Merlin?” Arthur asked.

“Yes.” Gaius replied.

--------------

Arthur walked in his chambers, thinking. Isabelle walked up behind him. “How was the training, my Lord?”

“Fine.” Arthur replied.

Isabelle looked at him. “Did you win? Lose?”

“A little of both.” Arthur shrugged.

“You're a terrible liar, Arthur. You're wearing the same clothes you were this morning and your armour remains untouched. I'm not a fool. Wherever you've been, it wasn't the training ground.” Isabelle told him.

Arthur couldn’t really look at her. “I um...”

“Have I done something wrong?” Isabelle interrupted him. “Spoken out of turn? Said something I shouldn't? I'm your wife, Arthur! I wouldn't see you hurt for the world. Now tell me what's troubling you.”

Arthur looked sadly. “I love you, Isabelle, more than you can imagine. There isn't anything I would not do for you.”

“I know, I...” Isabelle was interrupted as Arthur pulled her into a strong embrace.

-----------------

Arthur, Giuas and Isabelle were eating in the royal chambers. Merlin poured the belladona in the pitcher and attempted to gave Isabelle a drink. “Wine, my Lady?”

“Not tonight thanks, Merlin.” Isabelle disclaimed.

Merlin looked at Arthur and Gaius for help. Then, Arthur raised his glass. “A toast.”

Isabelle frowned. “My Lord?”

“A toast to... A toast to the Queen.” Arthur replied.

Isabelle blinked. “Me? What have I done?”

“Just being yourself, Your Highness.” Gaius replied.

Isabelle looked at him. “You're very kind, Gaius, but shouldn't it rather be to Camelot?” Merlin poured her some wine.

“To Camelot.” All called. Then, Arthur added. “Yes, to Camelot.”

“To Camelot.” Isabelle added.
Everyone took a drink from their goblets. Gaius, Arthur and Nerlin started staring at Isabelle, waiting for the belladona to take affect. For a moment, Isabelle seemed unaffected, to their concern. “You haven't eaten, my Lord.”

Arthur looked at her. “No, I hav...” Just then, Isabelle passed out as Merlin pushed a plate of soft bread under her head, so she didn’t hit the table. Then, they all sprung into action. “You're sure this is safe, Gaius?”

“I'd stake my life on it, Sire.” Gaius replied.

“You may have to.” Arthur comment. Just then, Merlin wheeled in a small wheelbarrow with a cloth in it. “She's still a Queen!”

Merlin shrugged. “It was the best I could do.”

“We have to hurry, Sire.” Gaius suggested.

Then, Arthur and Merlin started to place Isabelle on the wheelbarrow. “Careful...” Arthur warned them. Then, he eased the rest of Isabelle on the wheelbarrow.

Then, Merlin draped a sheet over her body to conceal her. “There. No one will know.”

Arthur looked at Gaius. “Gaius, you're sure this is going to work?”

“We need to hope, Sire. Merlin, come. We meet at the Darkling Woods.” Gaius replied.

Then, Merlin started to steer Isabelle out of the room. “Merlin, if you drop her...” Arthur warned him.

“I know. I lose my head.” Merlin comment.

“Just so we're clear.” Arthur warned him.

Then, Merlin leaves the room with Isabelle. Arthur closed the door and prepared for the journey.

-------------

Arthur was waiting in the forest for Merlin Gaius to bring Isabelle. He looked over to just seeing Gaius walking to him. “Where's Merlin?”

“It's alright, Sire. He comes.” Gaius replied.

Just then, Merlin came up behind Gaius bringing Isabelle. Arthur looked at him. “What kept you?”

Merlin looked at him. “Do you have any idea how steep those slopes are?”

When Merlin got to Arthur, he took off the sheet to reveal Isabelle. “She looks so innocent. Perfect.”

“She still is, Sire. The only evil in her is Morgause's. Come, you must be on your way.” Gaius told him. Then, Arthur took Isabelle in his arms and brought her to the horses as then Merlin hugged Gaius goodbye.

-------------

They were riding through the forest towards the cauldron of Arianrhod. With many things that were in their way, but that hasn’t stopped them. When they arrived, Arthur grabbed Isabelle and carries her towards the cauldron of Arianrhod, with Merlin following. “It's as Gaius described. The Cauldron of Arianrhod.” Merlin set down the supplies, sighing as he was relieved of his heavy burdens.

Arthur set Isabelle down near the Edge of the water. “What do we need to do?”

“Set her by the pool.” Merlin replied. Arthur sheathed his sword and carries Isabelle to the edge of the pool. “It can be fought. It can be broken, but it may also prevail. Do you understand this?”

Arthur nodded. “I do.”

Merlin looked at him. “What we attempt will not be easy. If we fail, Isabelle will be lost forever.”

Again, Arthur nodded. “I understand.”

“Very well. When I awake Isabelle from her sleep, she must walk into the Cauldron of Arianrhod of her own will. Only then will the spell be broken. But be warned, all the magic that binds her will fight against it.” Merlin told him, seriously.

Arthur looked at him. “How then can we succeed?”

“You must reach her, Arthur. Reach that part of Isabelle which has remained untouched by the evil of Morgause.” Merlin replied.

Arthur sighed, not believing it. “Is there such a part?”

“You must believe there is. Prepare. When she wakes, you will have but a few moments.” Merlin replied as then he crouched next to Isabelle, holding out a hand over her. “Gielde ic thec thissa meowlessawole, gyden aeblaece.” Merlin eyes glowed gold and he rises up.

Then, Arthur crouched down next to Isabelle, who began to stir. Isabelle awakened, startled. “Where am I? What have you done to me?”

Arthur looked at her. “You've been asleep for a long time.”

“Get away from me!” Isabelle tried to run away but Arthur caches her by the arm.

Arthur held her by both arms. “Isabelle. My Isabelle.”

Isabelle looked degusted. “Your Isabelle? You stupid, foolish man. I was never yours and never will be.”

Just then, Merlin spoke up. “You must reach her, Arthur. Reach out or all is lost.”

Isabelle glanced at him. “Merlin?”

“You loved me once.” Arthur gained Isabelle’s attention again.

Isabelle looked at him. “You are easily fooled, Arthur.”

“And still do.” Arthur continued.

“It was a trick. Nothing more. A subterfuge to pass Camelot to its rightful Queen.” Isabelle hissed.

Arthur shook with his head. “I don't believe that.”

Isabelle struggled to free herself from Arthur’s grasp, but he will not release her. “Believe what you like. The fact remains.”

Just then, Arthur began to drag Isabelle forwards the pool as she struggled. Merlin saw that. “No! It must be of her own will!”

Arthur pulled Isabelle closer to him. They were face to face. “Look at me. Tell me you don't love me.”

“Let me go!” Isabelle shouted.

“Arthur!” Merlin shouted as well.

Arthur looked at her. “Do you remember when I asked you to marry me? Do you remember what you said? You said, ‘With all my heart’. That's what you said, Isabelle. That was no subterfuge. No trickery.” Isabelle stopped struggling and looked at him. “With all my heart.” Then, Arthur walked slowly backwards, towards the lake. “With all my heart.”

Isabelle’s breath hitches as Arthur stepped into the lake. “With all my heart...” She said, softly.

Arthur extended a hand to Isabelle as she followed him towards the lake. “Come.” Isabelle placed her hand in Arthur’s and stepped in the water.

“Yfel gaest, ga thu fram thisselichaman. Bith hire mod eft freo. Ar ond heofonutungol sceal thurhswithan.” Melrin’s eyes glowed gold as Isabelle was surrounded by a white light, when the light disappeared, she turned to smile at Arthur, extending hr hand to him. Arthur waded towards her, smiling, exhaling in relief. Merlin watched them, hugging.

Then, Arthur and Isabelle came out of the water and were standing on the shore, with his arm around her.  “Thank you, Merlin.” Arthur told him.

--------------

Author's note: I hope you all liked this chapter and yeah i know, i used some parts from the series 5 of Merlin, it was the only thing i could think off. If you have better ideas, please tell me?