Chapter 11 - The Diamond of the Day, Part One

It’s been a few weeks later, Arthur still hasn’t made magic legal! The Council members aren’t willing, they won’t see the good in magic! And so, its still illegal. To so many efforts of Arthur.

Just now, Merlin in Physician’s Chambers, he quietly opened the door and entered. Merlin went over to look at something and tripped over a stool falling to the floor. He grimaced and got up. Gaius was laying the floor, with a cut over his right eye. Merlin entered his chambers, that he shared with his wife, stepped on a chest, lied down on the bed, placed the money pouch on the bed side table and let his arm hang off the side. The box was under his bed, lid was off. There's a hissing noise and the creature slithers out. Merlin heard the hissing and sat up. He looked around the room, looked toward the door and the creature jumped at him, knocking him down. Merlin grabbed it and fell to the floor. Ava woke up and helped to pull it off his face and throws it against the wall. Ava was a heavily sleeper as their son, but when it came to Merlin or their son, she woke up, after gearing them. Merlin struggled to breathe. The creature starts to move toward him and he backed up against a barrel, Ava stood for Merlin. Just as it leaped again Gaius came in with a shovel and killed it. Gaius went to Merlin. “Merlin. Merlin.” Merlin was still struggling with breaths. He looked up at Gaius.

“Gaius. Your head.” Merlin pointed to the cut. “You...You should get that seen to you.” He passed out.

Moments later, Merlin was on bed. Ava was wiping his forehead with a cloth. Merlin came around. “Merlin, dear.”

“Merlin.” Gaius added.

“What happened? What was that thing?” Merlin asked.

Gaius looked at him. “Morgause's work, that’s for sure. Mordred would of told her of your powers by now, Merlin. It was only a matter of time before she struck out. We can only be grateful that she failed.” Gaius got up.

Merlin realized his throat was dry. He turned and looked at the cup sitting on the bed side table. He reached his arm out. “Strangath.” Nothing happened. He lifted his head up and tried again. “Strangath.” Nothing happens. He tried again. “Strangath.” Ava looked at him. Then, he called for Gaius. “Gaius!” Gaius came back over and sat in the chair by the bed. “I don't think she failed.”

Gaius frowned. “Whatever do you mean?”

“I've lost my magic.” Merlin replied.

------------

The box that housed the creature was sitting on the table. Gaius was flipping through a book. Ava was helping. Merlin was gazing out the window. “Look. Here.” Gaius called. Merlin came over to them to see what he has found. Merlin stood next to Ava. “It is the sign of the gean canach.”

Merlin frowned. “Gean canach? That...that’s the language of the old religion, isn't it?”

“Yes.” Ava nodded.

“Indeed.” Gaius added. Merlin crouched down next to Gaius. “The gean canach is a fearsome creature forged by the tears of the earth mother Nemaine. It devourers the magic of others. Draining them of their power.”

“I thought all such creatures were destroyed in the Great Purge.” Merlin comment.

“All but one it would seem.” Gaius told them.

------------

The knights returned to Camelot. Gaius walked down the corridor tending to hurt people, Ava helped him. He stopped at a knight that was holding his head. Merlin stood at the end of corridor watching everything that was going on to and knows there was nothing he can do. Gaius walked toward him, Ava followed him. “The garrison at Stowell was attacked.”

Merlin looked at them. “Morgause.”

“So it would seem, dear.” Ava comment. 

Gaius looked at Merlin. “It would seem so. It cannot be a consequence. She's picked the moment you are most helpless to begin her attack.”

“What am I going to do?” Merlin asked.

“Well for the moment you are going to help me treat the wounded.” Gaius grabbed Merlin's arm and lead him forward. “Your skill as a physician is still valid.” He stopped him at two knights and walked off.

Moments later, Merlin was treating Eira wound on her leg. Gwaine looked on. “Sorry. One moment.” He grabbed a knife to cut the extra length of the bandage. Eira looked up at Gwaine.

“Don't worry. Merlin knows what he's doing.” Gwaine told her, resureing. Merlin got up.

Eira adjusted her skirt. “Do you have news from Stowell? Have you heard from my family?”

Gwaine glanced at Merlin before answering. “Eira, your family...the people of your town...you're the only one that survivor the attack.” Merlin glanced at them.

Eira looked down. “I'm...alone.” Merlin watched.

Gwaine crouched down next to her and placed a hand over hers. “I'm sorry. Eira, whatever happens, you'll be safe here in Camelot. You have my word.”

Eira nodded. “Thank you.”

--------

Arthur, Isabelle and the knights sat at the round table. Merlin stood in the background. “A force of saxons, sire. They crossed the northern border last night and attacked the garrison at Stowell.”

Arthur looked at them. “They march under Morgause's command.”

“There'd be no doubt about it sire. It's not men we faced, but sorcery.” Leon told them.

Arthur sighed. “We shouldn't be surprised. She's been massing an army for weeks. Now with Stowell taken, she has a base at our northern border, which can only mean one thing.”

“She means to take Camelot.” Isabelle added.

Percival looked at them. “Well she's already made her first mistake.”

“We have sufficient time to prepare our defences sire. We can make our stand here however great her army the walls of Camelot will hold. The Citadel will not fall.” Leon added.

Arthur nodded. “Perhaps, perhaps not. We've already deserted Stowell. I won't forsake the people of this land while we take refuge here.”

“But we can protect them, sire, in Camelot itself.” Percival countered.

Arthur sighed. “Some but not all. Countless, men, women and children will be left behind. People who I've vowed to protect.”

“We cannot save everyone, Arthur. No matter how much we may wish it.” Isabelle told him.

Arthur looked at her. “There is a way, one way alone. We insure that she never makes it this far.”

“We...ride out and meet them.” Percival added.

“Man to man.” Arthur added.

Leon spoke up. “But, sire, Morgause commands an army of thousands.”

Arthur looked at them all. “None the less. It’s our duty as protectors of this land. We cannot stand by, and let our citizens be slaughtered. Those are not the values that Camelot was built on. Whatever the outcome of this battle, my sister cannot and will not desecrate those values. A war has begun.”

-----------

Arthur, and some knights looked over a map. Isabelle and Merlin were standing in the background. “To reach Camelot, Morgause will have no choice but to cross the White Mountains.” He set a smaller map down and unrolled it. “Now, the pass that gives passage to an army that size, is here.” He pointed to a place.

Percival spoke up. “I know it well. The path leads a valley by cliffs on the other side.”

Arthur nodded. “That’s where we meet them. Now we may be outnumbered but if don't let them outflank us then we can hold the pass.”

“How long?” Leon asked. “Morgause has no care for the likes of men.”

“She can't supply for an army that size indefinitely. Not isolated by the mountains. If we can hold out long enough she'll be forced to retreat. Percival, at what point is the pass at its narrowest.” Arthur replied.

“Here, sire.” Percival pointed.

“What do they call this place?” Arthur asked.

“Camlann, sir.” Percival replied. Merlin feared the worst. It’s the place in the prophecy. Isabelle glanced at him.

Arthur nodded. “Then it is at Camlann, that we make our stand.”

----------

Merlin looked at Ava and Gaius. “I hoped to never hear that name again.”

“He can’t go there.” Ava nodded.

Gaius looked at Merlin. “You cannot go, Merlin. You'll have to persuade him.”

Merlin looked at them. “I know Arthur better than I know myself. He'll mot listen.”

“If Arthur goes to Camlann, the prophecy will come true and he will die.” Gaius told him.

Merlin sighed. “This battle is the only way he knows how to save his people. If he's going to lose his life...he'll still go.”

Ava looked at him. “Then what are we to do?”

“If I can't prevent him from going then I must protect him as best as I can.” Merlin replied.

Gaius looked at him. “But you can't protect him without your magic.”

“Then I must regain my magic.” Merlin comment.

Gaius sighed. “I can't restore it. It's beyond my power.”

“And I can’t either.” Ava added.

“I know. Perhaps it’s beyond anyone's power. If there’s an answer, I must seek it elsewhere.” Merlin told them.

“But where?” Gaius asked.

“The birthplace of magic itself, The Crystal Cave.” Ava replied.

Gaius crossed his arms. “The Valley of The Fallen Kings is crawling with bandits. Without your powers you won't stand a chance.”

“Which is why I won't be going alone.” Merlin told them.

--------

Arthur and the knights got ready. Then, Isabelle came up. “Arthur!”

Arthur looked at her. “Isabelle. What are you doing?”

Isabelle looked at her. “I'm coming with you.”

“The battlefield is no place for a Queen.” Arthur told her.

“I have no intention of joining you there. I can assure you. Arthur, if these are to be your last days, I would far rather spend them together then sit waiting for a man that I might never see again.” Isabelle told him. “And the children are with their grandparents. They are save.” Arthur nodded.

-----------

They were in the woods as the knights make camp. Isabelle and Gaius sat next to a fire with Arthur near them. Gaius was mixing something together. “Vital supplies.” Arthur comment.

Gaius looked up from what he was doing. “Excuse me, sire?”

“It's a shame Merlin didn't feel able to join us.” Arthur sighed.

Gaius looked at him. “I'm sorry Sire for I must take the blame.” He hadn’t told him, that Merlin had lost his magic. “But I cannot treat the wounded without sufficient medicine. The timing is unfortunate I grant you.” 

“Yes. Unfortunate as you say.” Arthur walked away. Gaius watched him leave.

“I'm not sure he believes you, Gaius.” Isabelle comment.  Gaius looked at her. “I'm not sure I do either. I know how devoted Merlin is to Arthur. He would never leave him at a time like this. Not for a mere errand. Not unless there was something else. Something he doesn't feel able to talk about it.”

Gaius nodded. “I believe you are right.”

--------

Later, the knights had set camp. Arthur was in his tent sitting at a table, thinking. Isabelle stepped in front of him. He looked up at her. She put her hands around a pole and leaned her head against it. She can tell something was troubling him. “What is it?”

Arthur looked at her. “What if Sir Leon was right? Perhaps we should've made our stand at Camelot.”

Isabelle moved toward the table and placed her hands on it. “Your plan is brave and bold, and our only chance of defeating Morgause once and for all. Yes, we could of held out at the Citadel, but for how long? And at what cost to the kingdom? I have never for a moment doubted the valour and wisdom of this choice.”

Arthur stood up and walked around the table to her. “If you do not doubt me, Isabelle, then I do not doubt myself.” He took her hands. “That gives me a strength greater than any weapon.” They hugged.

Isabelle looked at him. “Come, we must rest while we can.” Arthur picked her up and carried her to the bed.

-----------

Later, Arthur opened his eyes and leaned up, waking Isabelle as well. He had a confused look on his face. “What's the matter?” Isabelle asked.

“Merlin.” Arthur replied.

Isabelle looked worried. “It was a dream Arthur. I believe so.” She wasn’t so sure. 

“Didn't feel like a dream. It felt...” Arthur throws the covers back and got up.

“Arthur!” Isabelle called as Arthur bursts out of the tent. She followed him.

Leon saw him. “Sire, the scouts report that Morgause's army is on the move.”

“She'll attack before the night is done. Tell our men to prepare.” Arthur ordered him.

“Yes, Sire!” Leon called at then he went away.

Arthur looked around. “Percival! Gwaine!” They headed toward Arthur. “Take a patrol of men to the rear of us. You're looking for a hidden path running into the mountains. She means to outflank us, we must stop her now.” Moments later, Arthur was in his armour, standing before his army. “Tonight...we do battle. Tonight we end this war, we end a war as old as the land itself. War against tyranny, greed, and spite. Not all will greet the dawn, some will live, some will die. But each and every one of you fights with honour, and with pride. For not only do we fight for our lives, we fight for the future. The future of Camelot. The future of Albion. The future of the united kingdoms.” He lifted Excalibur into the air. “For the love of Camelot!”

“For the love of Camelot!” All shouted.

---------

The armies stood facing each other. The saxons beat their shields. Morgause stood on a cliff edge watching. Arthur draws his sword and held it up. “On me!” They charged at the saxons. The saxons charged back. The battle begins. Arthur cut downs saxons. He slashed one, flipped one over his back, hit one as he runs past, cut one down from behind. Ducked an attack and kicked the guy in the chest. Cut another one down as the guy leaped at him. He runs on. Morgause watched Mordred from above. Mordred cut down a couple of knights, he kept looking around for Arthur.