•chapter one•

Chaos seemed to follow Indigo 'Indie' Jay and Darcy Mack like a waft of rose and oud scented perfume. It was enticing, hitting the back of your throat, desperate to know from which direction it had come.

Between Indie's wild ideas and Darcy's impulsivity, it was a surprise that they had managed to stay out of jail. Although, if they were ever in that situation, either Indie would have thought of a plan, or Darcy would have sweet-talked the officer.

"I can't believe I have known you half my life, and you're finally inviting me to a race?" Darcy gasped as she shook Indie's shoulders. The grip was firm as the blonde then went to hug Marty, Indie's father. "This is so freaking cool."

Marty was fantastic, the type of father that all of Indie's friends wished was theirs. He had an easygoing aura about him, which helped him have to secure one of the most badass jobs in the world. Well, that and his 40 year career in mechanical and aeronautical engineering.

"Do I need to lay down ground rules, or are we past the Thorpe Park incident?" Marty, remarked as he pulled out his credit card. "Remember, this is my place of work, and I have a reputation to uphold." He winked.

Indie rolled her eyes at her dad's statement. Everyone loved him at Red Bull Racing, so much so that they had poached him from Mercedes just a few seasons ago. The swap was less than impressive for his brunette daughter, who had grown up in that garage with Sir Lewis Hamilton. The champ even on occasion helped her with homework.

Darcy chuckled and placed a hand on Marty's arm. "What trouble would we possibly get into?" She batted her eyes at the engineer, who just shook his head. "We are two of the best-behaved girls I know."

"Is that before or after tequila?" Marty reminded the blonde, who grimaced, remembering a few nights that she and her best friend had ended up calling Marty to come and pick them up as they had missed the last tube.

The girls looked at each other, mischievous grins pulled across their perfectly painted faces. Indigo bit down on her lip as Darcy burst into laughter. It was melodic and so loud that the giggles covered the soft jazz in the restaurant.

"We will try to limit the consumption of tequila." Indie enforced, although her father didn't believe a single word came out of her mouth. "At least on race days, but I'm afraid I can't promise anything in the build-up."

Marty nodded. "Well, if you're hungover on race day, I won't have to worry about you distracting one of my drivers." He smugly laughed as the waitress came to take the payment for the dinner.

After paying, the Jay patriarch left his credit card with his daughter and told her to enjoy the rest of the night. Marty was good like this, but he also really loved that Indie was finally taking him up on his offer of travelling with him.

He loved his job, and had worked up from a night mechanic, all the way to chief mechanic and overlooking both of the Red Bull garages. However, this dream took him away from his family for a considerable chunk of his children's childhood. Both Indigo and her older brother, Oliver, always came to Silverstone and a few of the European races. Still, it was harder for them to attend as they grew up.

"Shall we hit up Dukes?" Indie suggested as she pulled her lipgloss out of her bag and reapplied it to her lips. "I could go for a french martini." She hummed.

Darcy quickly agreed. The two girls took the short walk down Kensington High Street to the cosy cocktail bar they had found a few years ago when Indie was studying in the capital. It had become a favourite, and both girls had made many major life decisions in the corner booth that the two girls frequented.

"I'm so glad they kept the ordering-to-table system; now I don't have to get up again." Indie chuckled, wincing at the heels she was wearing. She loved wearing heels, but they did not love her. Not like they did, Darcy.