•chapter fourteen•

"It seems like you're a hit with Red Bull," Max smiled as he wandered outside the event with Indie who held her heels in her hand. "Remind me why you insist on supporting the enemy," He cooly winked before taking the heels from the girl.

Indie turned her head to the Dutchman who was now a lot taller compared to her than he had been for most of the evening. She wasn't sure she that she liked this new imbalance much preferring being able to look Max in the eyes.

Suddenly Indie dramatically swung around to face Darcy who was a few steps behind with skateboarder, and fellow Red Bull athlete Jagger Eaton. The blonde was confused, and quite clearly starting to feel the effect of the alcohol.

Darcy shrugged, "What?" She asked.

Indie swiped her glance between her friend and the annoying Driver on the her left. "Did you see Lewis at the event?"

Jagger let out a scoff as Darcy monotonously told Indie that Lewis was not at the event as he was a Mercedes Driver. "And you think I'm drunk, come on Ind, I just wanna see the ocean!" She laughed before looping her arm with Jagger and powering through the middle of Max and Indie.

Indie raised a brow. "And that's why I insist on supporting the enemy," She informed Max who couldn't help but smile at the girls dramatics. "Wherever Lewis goes so shall I!" Her voice was getting louder and louder. "He is my favourite person in the world,"

Max feigned insult and drew a finger to wipe away an imaginery tear from his blue eyes before wrapping an arm around Indie. "Ew, get off me," Indie shrieked but Max pretended not to hear and squeezed her tighter.

"You smell sooooooo good," Max remarked dramatically taking a sniff of Indie's sweet, floral fragrance that had followed her around the event all evening. "So yummy,"

Indie wondered how many drinks Max had had this evening as she had only seen him with one flute of champagne the entire evening. However his actions tonight were confusing. He had spent half of the event glued to Indie's side introducing her to key people in the business and press, and the other half telling people that she was dating George Russell.

Yet now Max was holding Indie's heels, she was wrapped up in his tuxedo jacket and the duo had escaped the event with Darcy and Jagger to have a midnight, moonlight walk on the beach. Although even Max knew that Darcy's plan was probably to go skinny dipping, he was content with swaying Indie's hand along the sand.

"It's my favourite perfume, I always wear it when I need a little 'boost'," Indie told Max who was watching her glossy lips move intently. She reached into the clutch bag, brought out an atomiser and passed it to Max.

It was a small pink leather cased bottle which Indie had decanted fragrance into from her main bottle in the hotel room. Max spritzed a couple of sprays onto the lapels of his jacket that was draped over Indie's shoulders. He wanted to remember this smell, but he didn't want Indie to know that.

He leant down to the jacket once the scent had sat for a moment. Max used Indie's waist to steady himself, although truth be told he just wished to get as close to her as he could. As Max took in the scent, Indie's eyes fluttered and she too took a deep breath.

"What is it?" Max asked as he titled his head up to look at Indie. She was very still but a small smile broke on her face.

Indie shook her head. "Nothing...oh, the perfume," She laughed but she knew that wasn't what Max had meant when he had asked that. "It's Tuberose Angelica by Jo Malone, I love it," Indie grinned.

And now Max loved it too.

"I always forget how much I hate sand," Indie joked as their feet met the Miami beach sand. "It gets everywhere, and it never feels nice," She laughed. "And also my dress is going to be ruined if it drags along it."