•chapter seven•

If Marty thought that his daughter and her friend caused chaos in Bahrain, it was nothing compared to the tornado that had hit Saudi Arabia. He loved them both, but he couldn't deny he was relieved to hear that Darcy was unable to come to Melbourne.

"Who am I going to hang out with now?" Indie whined as she scrolled through Instagram. "Can't your boss just, like, let you come?" She hinted.

Indie didn't understand the concept of Darcy's job. It didn't matter how often the blonde explained the ideas of Anonymous Travel and the Instagram account she spearheaded; Indie couldn't grasp it.

Darcy was busy typing up a blog post on her recent weekend trip to Paris and the most visited patisseries when Indie swanned into her office. She had an iced latte in one hand, her phone in the other and a massive Selfridges and Co shopping bag swung over her shoulder.

"I'm being sent to a cheese and wine festival in northern Italy, and plus, I thought you were going to be watching from Mercedes." Darcy pointed out.

A smile raised across the brunette's rosy complexion. George had invited Indie to watch the Saudi Arabian race from his garage, but she needed to give her dad more than one week to come to terms with it.

Surprisingly, Marty had gone for it. However, it only took two calls from Lewis Hamilton, one to Toto Wolff and a promise from George Russell that he would act like a gentleman.

Darcy wasn't sure what exactly was going on between her best friend and the Mercedes driver, but she had seen her smile enough at her phone to gather that there was something. Indie was, however, remaining tight-lipped.

"Oh yeah, but I mean, I'd still rather you were there with me...." Indie said as she reached into the Selfridges back and pulled out a large Givenchy boot box followed by a smaller Saint Laurent box.

Darcy's eyes widened. "Didn't your dad tell you that you didn't need any more pairs of boots?" She chuckled.

Indie shrugged and allowed Darcy to feel the new patent chunky soled boots she had just purchased. Straight away, the blonde requested to borrow them, even if she was a shoe size smaller than Indie.

"And my mum said that I needed to feel my best when I go to Mercedes, and trust me, I will feel my absolutely sparkliest version of myself in these shoes and with this bag."

Darcy couldn't help but shake her head. When Dad says no, ask mum. It had been Indie's rouse her entire life. Although she rarely had to convince her mum into anything when it came to shopping. They were as bad as each other.

"You're terrible. I never know how you get away with it," Darcy jestingly sighed.

Indie winked. She had her ways, but she would never reveal her secret. Darcy could guess, but it had never been confirmed.

"How long until you are finished?" Indie asked, putting her new purchases back into the Selfridges bag. "Lando has invited us over for a movie night with Max,... well, he invited me, and I don't think I can watch She's the Man again." Indie laughed.

Darcy's interest peaked at She's the Man. Also, she had formed a close alliance with the McLaren driver, much to Indie's disdain.

"Verstappen?" Darcy asked with a smirk which confused the brunette. "Is he in London?"

Indie shook her head before pretending the throw-up.

"As if I, Indie Jay, would willingly agree to spend an evening with Max Verstappen," The brunette remarked with splintering sarcasm.

It was a complex dynamic between Red Bull's golden boy and the British girl. Max liked to wind Indie up at every opportunity he could, and Indie, well, she just wanted to push his buttons. Her love for the rival team was her favourite, and whenever the Dutchman was in earshot, Indie made sure to bleat on about Sir Lewis Hamilton and her new friend, George Russell.