0:35

"You've reached Robyn, clearly I'm not available to take your call. Do leave a message, and your name, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Ciao," he sighed as he listened to her voicemail message. He'd never gotten her voicemail before, but maybe she was just busy — just like he'd be if he wasn't meeting up with his mother for lunch.

After the sound of the beep, he left her a message.

"Hey Robyn," he dragged, rubbing the back of his neck, "it feels quite awkward to leave you a voice message. Nonetheless, I need your help with something. You're the only one I know who's working in the Rehab industry. Call me as soon as you can, I need to find a solution. Ciao."

He found himself smiling as he looked at his phone. He remembered when he used to use that word a lot because of her. A sigh left his mouth yet again, ending the call as he was content with the message he'd left her.

This moment for him was very bittersweet, this was them after being so familiar. This was them after an engagement. Them after walking out of each other's lives. This would probably be the last time they spoke, this time being forreal. As much as that dinner was the celebration of the end of their era. This was it for him, this was the last page of the last chapter.

He felt his heart twist, before he felt the build up of every emotion ever stored away resting on his throat. He did not want to let them out, so he swallowed them, rolling a window down so the fresh air would bring him back to life.

It wasn't Robyn that evoked all these emotions out of him, it was what she stood for. What she reminded him of. Her.

He flexed his jaw, looking off to the side, as he let out a shaky breath. For some reason, the build up of emotions did not want to settle down like they usually would. This time around they wanted release, and nothing but that.

He needed a run. He needed to escape. He couldn't afford to unravel. The business needed him. His coworkers needed him. He just couldn't do it. It wasn't prescribed under what a man should do.

"Heyy," his mother's cheerful voice startled him, which pushed him to chuckle softly, and her to join him in that.

"You're just going to scare me like that?" he smiled, pulling his slowly decomposing mask back together. He raised the window back up, as his mother stepped away from the door and he stepped out of the car.

In his mind, he was just grateful to God that his mom showed up as soon as she did

In his mind, he was just grateful to God that his mom showed up as soon as she did. He needed that, just to bring him back to life, and stop him from drowning further in unwanted thoughts.

"Hey baby," she opened up her arms, and he bent down slightly, embracing her, taking in all her warmth. He needed it, for the cold winter days. He needed his mother's affection.

"Hey mama, I've missed you," he spoke with a small voice, briefly closing his eyes.

"Same! We should do this often," she smiled as she let go of him, holding both his shoulders as she observed him, "Are you okay?"