0:49

"Annalise, heyy. I've been meaning to get back to your text message. I'm sorry." Shane sighed, as she answered her call.

She'd just got back into her loft from church, and was trying to mentally prepare herself for her talk with her mother. However, Annalise had just called her — and she shouldn't ignore it, since she was trying her best to rebuild an acquaintanceship that would become a friendship.

"Really though?" She lightly laughed at Shane's greeting.

"I'm being forreal. It's been a crazy hectic week. Thanks for calling though. How are you?" She asked, placing her phone on top of the kitchen island.

"I'm sorry, but can I speak to Shane?"

A chuckle left Shane's lips, as she playfully rolled her eyes. She was also taken aback by her own gentleness, and she could only attribute it to having such an amazing date with Hendrichs, then ending it well with worship and God's word. She loved how he'd carefully planned it, despite it having been impromptu.

"She's right here. Are you going to answer my question though?"

"I'm as good as I can be. Settling into my dad's firm. Are you busy next month though?"

"Okay rich girl. I know you don't like your job, but you're really set for life." She smiled, opening her fridge so she could place her tub of chocolate mousse that Hendrichs bought for her. She'd never told him that was her favorite dessert, but he'd paid that much attention to her — and that honestly moved her heart.

"I can't even complain about it. It's my life now, I might as well embrace it and so I can be happy." She loudly sighed, and Shane felt her heart squeeze. She realized that Annalise would still be at Haines City had she not been ridiculously mean to her. Still catching a break from the life she was momentarily running away from. She honestly did not know how to feel about that.

"I'm sorry. I know part of that is my fault…"

"Not really. I could have looked for a job elsewhere. I was born into this family for a reason. Why run from it? Are you free though?"

"I think I should be, why?" Shane chose to respond to the latter part of what she had said. She didn't know how to respond to the first. Biting the corner of her lip, she waited for Annalise's response.

"My sister Phe is getting married next month and gave me a plus one invite. I don't really fit in with her friend group, or my family and was wondering if you would come keep me company." After speaking, it became silent as several thoughts ran through Shane’s mind. However, it all summed up to one. She just couldn’t understand Annalise’s heart. How could one person be so nice?

“After everything that’s happened, you want my company?” She deeply swallowed, not truly believing what she’d just heard. The statement that you burn someone with your kindness became a reality at that moment.

“Please. I honestly got over all that happened with Logan. We both did our fair share of wrongs, and I meant it when I said we should become friends in the near future.” She could hear Annalise’s smile through the phone, and she gasped — the weight of her words resting on her shoulder. If she had been in Anna’s shoes, she’d have never forgiven herself.

“Sure. Is it in your city?” She asked, not knowing how to respond to her previous statement. She wasn’t even sure she’d ever have a response to that.

“No… my parents and the groom’s parents planned for it to be in New York. It’s an all expense paid trip, so you won’t even have to worry. I know you’ll have to ask Hendrichs for the Monday off, fingers crossed that he won’t say no.”