0:41

Once again, she stood before the mirror. This time dressed casually, sexy, but still casual. Happy looked good on her – she certainly hadn’t felt the emotion since she started tackling her demons by herself. However, this week had been one of her best in quite a long time. 

High Spirits. Since her run with Hendrichs she’d been in high spirits. She was smiling a whole lot more, and the auto shop had become a place of solace as well. She’d been enjoying work, the passing banter she’d hold with Logan during work hours, and the passing gazes between her and the boss man himself. The thrill of wanting, but not having, had her at an all-time high. 

She’d tried so hard not to think about the date he had asked her on, but it had been so hard considering how her feelings towards him had somehow found themselves escalating. It didn’t help that each day he’d text, just to find out how she was doing – all the ‘allys’ included. He’d really taken up the role of being a friend quite seriously, and though she was not used to it, though it felt foreign – she liked this vibe he was introducing her to. 

When this would fail, he certainly was making it hard for the very next guy. Not that Hendrichs himself had started doing anything to impress her – he’d just chosen to be present. 

Nonetheless, today was Saturday – the day she’d be risking her life, right alongside Logan. She was going to meet him at his place – because she’d never been to his place, which she had mentioned to him, and he’d invited her over. They would then drive to Tandem together in Logan’s car and cross off the item from both their bucket lists. 

Like déjà vu, her phone vibrated against her chest of drawers. She smiled because it was her dad calling, and she hadn’t spoken to him since the Sunday she left Boston for Chicago. She missed him, but her mind hadn’t gotten around to actually allowing her to call him normally. She had become so used to calling him when she needed something, or when he wanted to know that she was okay. Now, things were so different. 

“My guy!” She immediately answered, her pitch high and a grin growing on her face. 

“Heyy! She is in good spirits; dare I say happy!” He cheered, and she laughed at his remark. 

“You have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice, let alone that you called me.” She connected her AirPods to her phone, placing it in her pocket so she could move around and finish up with her look. She couldn’t believe that she used to dislike them, but now she just loved the convenience of them. 

“And you have no idea how happy I am to hear you like this. To hear a hint that my girl is coming back to me, this just makes me the happiest man on this planet.” It was tone. His damn tone of sincerity that tugged at her heart. 

“Dad.” She pouted. She liked that she was rising a good emotion within him – anything that was not hurt, disappointment, or anger. 

“I’m being for real. Even just to call you when I feel like it, I appreciate that so much. Shows me that you are putting in the work.” 

She closed her eyes, a mixture of being content, and feeling guilty welling up inside her. “I derailed sometime this week. Got myself pissy drunk dad. I know that’s not what you taught me. Then some punk nigga thought it would be wise to spike my drink.” Her nose flared as she relayed the message to her dad. 

“Shanae.” He reprimanded. 

“I know dad. I know. I should have never gotten past the point of tipsy. Should have known better. I know.” She sighed. 

“Are you okay?” His concern. It made all the anger that was stored in her heart, towards herself and the attempted perpetrator, fade away.

“Thank God for Marie. And Hendrichs. I’m good.”