chapter 2: test run

After me Jake and Norm got done with our logs we started heading towards the labs. 'Oh, did I forget to mention we are roommates.' The link room contain a dozen pisionic link units, which looked like coffins crossed with MRI scans. "Grace Augustine is a legend. She is the head of the avatar program, she wrote the book-i mean literally wrote the book on pandora botany." Norm said as I chuckled at his expression whilst he spoke about her. 'He really does admire her.'

"That's because she likes plants more than people." Now what Max said sent me giggling with a goofy smile. 'I don't blame her, I like animals more than humans... besides Jake.' Infront of me I see a ginger lady sitting up from her link, stretching and cracking her neck after what seem s to me to be a long session. "Who's got my goddamn cigarette!?"...'Huh'

I see a tech scurry to her with a already lit cigarette. Still scowling Max, Norm, Jake and I approach her. "And here she is, cinderella back from her ball. Grace, I'd like you to meet Norm Spellman, Nova and Ja-" Max was rudely cut off. "Norm, Nova, I hear good things about you two. How's your na'vi." She said, not addressing Jake.

"May the all mother smile upon our first meeting." Norm said in na'vi to which Grace also responded"Not bad. You sound a little formal." "Ain't that a good thing Gracy." I said with a cheeky smile, laughing at Grace's annoyed look, but I could see the joy in her eyes. Going up to give her a bear hug I let my eye's wander around, only now noticing the shocked looks I was receiving. 'Huh, what's wrong with them, did something bad happen.'

"It's nice to see you too Nova. And I see our top student it still doing the best." Grace said sounding relived. "Wait, how do you two know each other." Max said...surprised. "this little one was the helper who helped me on my book." "Huhh." Norm said looking as if he had been give some mind blowing information.  "Yeah, she was also my top student." "Yeah, well thank that to Tom, helping me study and keeping me up at night. Although... I might need a little help teaching this one." I said, using my head to motion  to Jake. 'What, he may be my best friend but my mother said to always be truthful... and I am.' Ignoring the playfull glare sent ot me by Jake, Grace turned her head to him.

"Uh, Grace, this is Jake S-" Grace angrily cuts Max off before he could continue. "Yeah yeah, I know who you are and I don't need you, I need your brother. You know, the PhD who trained three years for this mission." 'Grace...' I think in shock. How could she be so insensitive, Tom just died and Jake had to be shipped out straight away. "He's dead. Yeah I know it's it's big inconvenience to everyone." Jake says with an angered yet sad look. I can only imagine the pain he must feel, losing your twin...

"How much lab training do you have? Ever run a gas chromatography. Any lab work at all." "No. I had high school chemistry but I ditched it." Jake said as I wore an amused smile, turning my head away and putting putting hand over my mouth to stop the noise of laughter coming out. Grace turns to Max with a angered look, "you see? You see? There pissing on us even without the courtesy of calling it rain and Nova I can see you giggling. I'm going to selfridge." She said turning away.

"No Grace, I don't think that's a go-" Max panicked, trying to stope her but we all know that's not going to happen. "Nope, this is bullshit. You know what, I'm going to kick his corporated butt. He has no right to stick his nose into my business." She yelled before stomping out of the lab.

Everyone in the lab was silent and the only thing and could be heard was and exasperated sigh belonging to Max. Having a smile on my face I turned to Jake. "Give her some time, she'll warm up to you. I mean, it took me months to atleast hold a conversation with that women." Jake nodded but I could still see the doubt and disappointment in his eyes. Sighing I brought my finger up to his nose as he watched me very intensely and... I booped him on the nose like I would do to my cats. Cough lions cough.

Confused jake opened his mouth to ask questions before I cut him off. "You'll be alright. Your very capable of taking care of yourself... and besides, if anything goes wrong you'll have me." I say, pointing my thumb towards my chest as I wear a smile full of pride. Laughing Jake said "sure, you are my personal and favorite hero after all." Jake said with a warm smile.

Sharing a laugh Max walks up to us. "Well, you guys should probably get some rest, after all, tomorrow's the big day. Oh, and try to use big words" Agreeing Jake and I headed towards our dormitory.

Timeskip

Tomorrow finnaly came and it was finnaly time to get suited up. I was dressed in some casuall sport clothing as I laid in the link capsule, smiling like and idiot and bouncing were I sat. 'I haven't been this excited since I went to vist my animal companion's.'

"Excited." Jake ask with a adoring smile looming on his face that Nova missed to see. "Of course, this is so cool." I said with imaginary sparkles floating around me. Jake let out a laugh before rolling over to his capsule to get hooked up as Grace walks over. She turned to me and leaned across the capsule with a hand on the lid. "Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." "Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on him." I said with a goofy smile, not taking what she said seriously. Chuckling at my hyper behaviour Grace closed the lid.

"Relax and let your mind go blank." Taking a deep breath I close my eyes and slowly succumbed to nothing.

Going through radiant streamers of coalesce into a pulsing tunnel of light I hear my name being called as my eyes slowly flutter open to see a male and female doctor leaning over me. "Nova can you hear me." The female doctor ask while the male shined a flashlight through my eyes. "Loud and clear." I groan, still feeling groggy from the events that just occurred.

"Pupile reflex good" I hear one of the doctors say. I sat up from the gurney I was laying on as people asked me questions about how I was feeling. The others were trying to do the same with Jake and Norm but I was too focused on my new body. My skin was now blue and my hair was now white. I had markings littered all over my body. Looking behind me i giggled in glee as I moved my tail by will, however, my attention was soon captured by the sounds of metal falling.

Looking through the glass I see Jake... Standing up with a child like expression full of wander. A huge smile graced my face seeing him walking. However, it soon fades into one of worry as Jake yanks the wires attached to the bio-monitor and rushes outside and past the protesting tech and doctors.

"Jake wait." Shouting in worry I rip off the cables attached to me and run after him. I ran past two avatar drivers playing one on one and effortlessly ran past Norm who was running quite slow. As I ran, it no longer felt like chasing. It felt like freedom...

My run slowly turned into a sprint but everything felt like it was in slow motion. It felt like I was in tune with the planet and the jungles surrounding the faculties. Everything was moving with life, like it had its own heartbeat and a voice to hear. I could feel a connection, a pull to what I assume is the heart of pandora. But I also feel a stronger connection towards Jake. I felt it calling out to me and the need to protect it swelled within me but I was soon brought out of that stupor after crashing into Jake at full force, successfully knocking us both into the ground.

"Jesus Nova" Jake groaned out in pain  before he realised our position with me laying flat on top of him with our legs entangled together. Unbeknown to Nova, Jake's face soon turned a deep shade of purple. "Sorry Jake." I say as I got up, offering a hand out of him as he took it. "Wicked wipe out the two of you." Turing to locate the voice bothe Jake and I see a beautiful na'vi women walking up to us. "Grace/Gracy?" Me and Jake blindly question.

"Well, who did you expect numbnuts. Think fast." She throws us a peice of pandora fruit to which we both easily catch. "Motor controle is looking good." Jake and I bite into the fruit, moaning in delight as juice dribbled down our chin. "Hey check it out." Turing around we come to face with Norm in his avatar form doing weird poses.

In the avatar longhouse Jake and I sit in wooden beds in a long hut of tropical style construction. Around us the other avatars are bedding down for the night as I watch Jake inspecting the ends of his long braided queue hair. The end of the hair slowly writhe on their own, like tendrils of a sea creature as I decide to copy my childhood friends actions and inspect my own. "That's kinda freaky." Jake said as I let out a smile and nod my head. "Goodnight amigos. See you at dinner." Grace said, switching off the lights.

Jake lays down and falls asleep instantly as I stay up and let nature's music of screechs and hoot lull me to sleep.