6| Home

July became August quickly. Quicker than Adrienne was prepared for. And that meant decisions.

She spent July training and hanging out with her siblings. Suki succeeded in being closer to Adrienne. Julie and Adrienne said 2 words to each other but were otherwise quiet allies. Kamaka calmed down his antics as he got used to Adrienne being there. A bunch of chocolates from Silena's dad came every week.

"Business is slow," Silena had said with a shrug.

Adrienne enjoyed the chocolates- no matter how cheap they tasted. But she stopped eating them after a while. The sender mad her think of her own father- who was either dead or thought that Adrienne was dead. Neither thought made her happy. Although, happiness hadn't been a common emotion for Adrienne.

~

One night in August, her mother visited her in her dreams.

Aphrodite looked different, this time she looked like the Greek goddess she was. Blonde hair in a twist and a glowing white chiton decorated with gold- Adrienne wouldn't be surprised if they were actual gold- tassels. Aphrodite still looked nothing like Adrienne.

"I know where your dad is," her mother said. Adrienne met her mother's blue eyes.

"He was looking for you. But I told him you were fine." Aphrodite acted like she had given Adrienne an answer. Adrienne knew her mom was bull-shitting an answer.

But she wasn't about to argue with a goddess. Adrienne shrugged with a nod. "Thank you..."

Aphrodite frowned a bit and everything was silent. The goddess seemed to be thinking of something.

"I know! I'll make you a wonderful love life. Full of twists and turns. You'll be thanking me forever! Passion, pain, and pure love! Though it won't be my favorite..." Aphrodite said. It was like

Adrienne decided the only thing she was thankful for was that it wasn't her mother's favorite. That would mean her mother would have screwed her entire life up. She wasn't that happy with the pain part.

"Okay," was all Adrienne felt like saying. She wanted to go back to dreamless sleep. And she did. Her mother's image disappeared.

~

"Are you staying at camp?" Suki asked her one day. It was morning and everyone was making their beds.

Adrienne shrugged. "Don't know." She didn't. She hadn't really thought about it since her mother visited her. She wanted to see her dad again, but camp was beginning to feel like a second home. She could always go back next summer and even during break.

"I think..." But she wanted to stay and train. She liked sword training and she was finally getting used to it. Plus, she knew camp would be quite the sight to see in winter. She was beginning to love how certain things looked like. She let Kamaka take her canoeing one day and was in awe of how the lake glistened.

"I'll go home." She finally decided.

"I am, too! Where do you live?" Suki asked.

She had lived in Georgia before her house was destroyed. But she hadn't a clue where her dad had moved. Hopefully he stayed in Georgia.

"My dad moved. Don't know," she said.

"Oh, I hope you find out..." Suki only said what there was to say to it. Adrienne knew that Suki couldn't help and was thankful that her sister wasn't offering something she couldn't do.

"Me too."

~

It was the last day for summer sessions. The bead for this summer was a trident for Percy Jackson. Everyone clapped for Percy, even Adrienne joined in. The more she learned of the quest the more she begrudgingly admired Percy. He wasn't a bad kid, but she knew trouble still came with him.

And she was right.

Luke was a traitor. That was why he was so stressed. He affiliated with Kronos. He tried to kill Percy, but the son of Poseidon lived.

But Adrienne didn't know how to feel.

Luke and her were never close, but he had welcomed her. Though, that was just good manners. And she was concerned about him, well, until she learned about his betrayal. She decided to bury her wonderings deep in her mind.

After all, she had to pack to go home. She had told Chiron earlier that day that she would be going home. He asked her how. She said that she would figure it out. He said she could use his phone to call her dad.

She didn't have much, only a few things. Her camp shirts, some other clothes, and a few photos she had of her siblings. She could fit it all into a backpack.

Now she had to call her dad. She remembered his number, but she wondered how he would react to an unknown number.

She typed the numbers and let the phone ring. It was picked up immediately.

She swallowed her spit and cleared her throat. 'Get on with it,' she told herself.

"Is... Is this Dominic Alarie?" she asked.

She could hear a gasp of recognition on the other side. A familar gasp.

"Addie?" her dad asked. He sounded like he didn't believe it could have been her- even though her mother had said she told him she was alive.

She opened her mouth to speak again, when it was cut off with a sob. "Dad?" she choked out as tears began to run down her face.

"Yeah?" Her dad's voice was shaky. She could hear his breath.

"Can I go home?" she said in between a sob. She was glad it was only her in the room, she was an ugly crier.

He sobbed as well. "Of course. Of course you can, Addie."

-

Ancient Delphi- a town in Ancient Greece. Home of Apollo's oracle and a Greek temple.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Delphi-ancient-city-Greece