10| The Sorting

Her dad had already explained how it worked.

There was four statues. A wampus cat. A horned serpent. A pukwudgie. And a thunderbird. She would have to stand on the Gordian Knot in the middle of the hall and a statue would come to life. The statue that does is her house.

Wampus represented the body. The house favored warriors.

Horned Serpent represented the mind. It favored scholars.

Pukwudgie, as... interesting as the name was, represented the heart. It favored healers.

And the Thunderbird represented the soul. It favored adventurers.

She didn't have any she wanted to be apart of. She wasn't a warrior or adventurer by choice. She liked books but a house exclusively for scholars was... too booksmart for her. And she would get herself expelled if she had to call herself a Pukwudgie.

Proffesor Jasper put them all in line. If he noticed she only just joined, he didn't show it. Though, he did seem more concerned with magical creatures than people.

She was put in the front, so they were probably going by last name. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. How many eyes would be watching her? Too many, too many.

She was not the first, thankfully.

"Lawrence Abrams," Proffesor Jasper called.

A boy with curly blonde hair stood up. He stood on the knot. The Thunderbird glowed gold and flapped it's wings. He grinned and ran to stand in front of it. A group of kids yelled out in celebration.

"Adrienne Alarie," Proffesor Jasper called.

She took a deep breath and stood on the Gordian Knot. She looked around at the statues. She wasn't a scholar, she wasn't a healer, and she was only a warrior and adventurer because she got unlucky with her mother. Though Wampus wasn't too bad-

The Thunderbird glowed and flappes it's wings. She scowled at it. 'Okay, damn.' She walked over to stand next to Lawrence. 'Atleast they're happy,' she thought as the same group of students celebrated.

"Kiara Ashbury" was a brunette girl with a sharp face.

The gem on the Horned Serpents head glowed.

Xavier Barclay was a Wampus. Seth Barrea was also a Thunderbird.

Lawrence whooped. Adrienne just clapped.

Shane Clayton was a Horned Serpent. Caleb Daine joined him immediately after.

"Hunter Dire," the proffesor called. Hunter looked a little like the headmistress, but younger and paler. He joined her in Thunderbird.

A few students passed. She didn't pay attention since no one of them were Thunderbird or familiar.

"Greyson Laurier," Proffesor Jasper called.

'Greyson?' she looked up. It was the boy who took her spot in the Hermes Cabin. The same sharp blue eyes and scowl. His hair was slightly longer, though.

Greyson must've recognized her as well. His eyes flittered from her to the statues. He only stopped glancing at her when the Horned Serpent's gem glowed.

Kendall Nocks was a Thunderbird.

Cara Paczkowski was the last Horned Serpent. Brayden Ravens, Briar Ravens were twins and joined Pukwudgie. Chiyo Takeshi joined them after. Eva Vanderwood was the last Wampus. Violet Wermuth was the last Thunderbird. Fiona Zacksfield was the last Pukwusgie and the last one to be sorted.

~

They were all ushered into a side room to get their wands.

Everyone stuck awkwardly to their own house, only a few students in different houses were whispering together.

Greyson decided to stand right next to her in the small, cramped room.

"So..." he mumbled. She looked at him.

"So," she repeated. He nodded. The first and last time they chatted it consisted of him being impatient and her taking her sweet time. They had some similarities in terms of godly and witch/wizard heritage, but not good experiences with each other.

She thanked the gods as Proffesor Jasper called her up to get her wand. She stood there for a few seconds until a maroon box zoomed in front of her.

~
Ebony and dragon heartstring.
~

She opened the box. The wand was sleek and black. It had wave like ridges at the handle. It reminded her of how her mother came to be; from the water due to... a surprise castration of Uranus. Maybe not the most beautiful way her mother came to be.

She was sent to stand outside in the entrance hall. Once everyone was done, the new students would go to the dining hall and have a feast. She wasn't hungry yet, but certainly wanted to eat.

"Hey... Adrienne," Lawrence greeted.

She looked over at him. "Hello."

"So, Thunderbird," he said. Was every interaction she had with her peers going to be so awkward?

"Yeah. That's our house..."

"Yep."

She was even happier than she thought she would be to go to the dining hall when everyone finished up with their wands. Even though Greyson looked like he wanted to talk.

She walked closer to Violet Wermuth and Kendall Nocks. They were all girls and all in the same house. They would be sleeping in close quarters every night for around 8 months. She might as well be near them now.

Professor Jasper opened the doors to the dining hall. She tried for a little smile, but she didn't have to when she saw her dad at the proffesor table.

She mouthed "Thunderbird" to him. He must've understood and nodded. She could see him mouth back "good job". Her smile grew a little.

Professor Althea Dire stood up on her podium and gave a gentle smile to all the new students. Adrienne noticed how it grew when the headmistress' eyes landed on Hunter Dire.

"Welcome," she said, "to Ilvermorny!" She put her hands up.

Dancing sparkles of many colors that reminded Adrienne of fairies passed the first years. The sparkles landed onto the candles on the tables as the dining hall became illuminated.

She grinned a little more. The white brick wasn't as tacky when all the colors bounced off it.

-

Temple of Hera in Olympia- originally dedicated to her and her husband, Zeus. It became solely her's after his own temple was made nearby.

https://www.greeka.com/peloponnese/olympia/sightseeing/temple-hera/