Chapter Three: Rude Awakenings

Chapter Warnings: Mentions of death, murder, dead bodies, cannibalism (basically everything Steve does to people in Fresh), manipulation, blood, biting and light smut: just a little bit of touching and the smallest cum mention. Also, Steve Kemp just being Steve Kemp, because he's a warning all on his own.

~~~

Nervously, Y/N glances around the cell one last time, ensuring that she knows how to run out if she needs it. Steve notices her looking around, and he sighs. "I told you. You don't have to worry. I mean, you don't think I'm that dangerous, do you?" Images of Steve's victims flash through her mind once more, and the last thing she wants is to end up like them. Despite how much it excited her to think about meeting her end at the hands of Steve...she'd still prefer to leave here with all of her limbs intact, and none of her eaten. It's then that she realises that Steve is still looking at her, actually waiting for an answer to his question.

"Do you want me to answer that honestly?" She asks nervously.

"I must admit, I'd prefer it if you did."

"Well Steve, it's hard not to think that. I mean, you were in the news...like I said, you've done so much-" Steve tuts, shaking his head.

"No. I don't care about all the news and what they have to say. All I care about is your opinion of me. Even though some could argue that you shared enough of it yesterday." He reminds her, and her cheeks burn, Steve's angry face imprinted on her mind. Surprisingly though, Steve doesn't bring it up, and continues. "And besides, we're partners, aren't we? There should be some form of trust between us." She frowns at that comment. Usually the people she interviews relish in the news coverage they've been getting, and demand she brings a copy of the newspapers discussing them to every interview. They never once cared about her own opinion of them. Then again, it didn't exactly differ from the opinions shared in the news reports. For Steve not to care is strange. "Go on. It's alright." He presses.

"Are you sure? Last time I voiced my opinion it didn't go well." Steve chuckles, nodding.

"That's true. But you're a smart woman, and I'd be remiss if I didn't let you share your thoughts. Especially since they all bubbled over yesterday. Be as honest as you like." Y/N feels even more conflicted. After dealing with so many criminals who didn't care about her or her thoughts, it's weird to have someone who does. At the same time though, having Steve care about her opinion makes her feel strangely...happy. She knows it sounds weird to admit that being complimented on her intelligence by a mass murder and a cannibal makes her feel good, and to be honest she's not sure why it does make her feel that way, but she isn't going to deny it.

"Yes Steve, I do think you're dangerous." She admits. "And I am still a little scared around you...despite how much you tell me not to be. I mean, I've never been up so close with someone like you before. So close that I could touch them." Steve raises a curious eyebrow at the last part of her sentence, but says nothing and simply nods.

"I see. Thank you for your honesty, but like I said, you don't have to be afraid...I won't hurt you." And for the first time ever, Y/N feels a little comforted by those words. When she said Steve was dangerous, she wasn't telling the full story. Of course, he is dangerous, but there's so much more to him. He's...different, he's interesting, but most of all...he's exciting. "Before we resume trying to solve this case, may I ask you something else first?" Steve asks. Knowing she has no other say in the matter, Y/N nods. "Why did you want to become an FBI agent? Especially one like this. I can't imagine most little girls your age dreamed of being stuck in here with someone like me." He cocks his head, looking over her with a grin. "I must say, though, I am glad that you're here." Y/N ignores the feeling in her stomach after hearing those words, and her eyes flicker away from Steve's gaze.