Chapter Nine: Survival Instinct

Chapter Warnings: This chapter has mentions of death, murder, stabbing, cannibalism, serial killers, kidnapping, manipulation, a lot of blood, graphic descriptions of violence and injuries, and weapons (specifically knives). Also a tiny smut mention. Once again, everything Steve does to people in Fresh is a warning. And of course, Steve Kemp and Nick Fowler, because those two are warnings all on their own, let alone together.

~~~

As soon as he's finished reading the note, Steve's blood boils, and he throws the letter down angrily. "Shit!" He hisses, angrily kicking one of the kitchen cabinets. He's going to kill that bastard. Yet, despite his anger, an overwhelming feeling of guilt overtakes Steve. If he hadn't been so angry and listened to Y/N's worries, or even went back to the house with her, this wouldn't have happened.

And now, she might be dead. But even if she's not dead, what if she hates him? What if she resents him for failing to keep her safe? That possibility tears him up inside. Y/N's the love of his life. He can't lose her. Honestly, Steve's still confused by his seeming complete change of heart and personality for Y/N. After all, he used to relish in terrorising her, just like everyone else he'd ever met. Yet Y/N was different from everyone else. From their first meeting, he sensed some kind of connection, and strange feelings he had towards her.

They were unexplainable at first, but now he knows it was the first sign of him falling in love with her. That's partly why he was so unwelcoming to Y/N at first, hoping that scaring her away would stop his strange feelings for her, the one woman he could never have. The person who would always see him as a monster. In fact, keeping her away only made the feelings stronger. When he finally admitted it to himself, he felt so much better. Even though he knew he couldn't tell Y/N, not wanting to put her at risk. After all, the whole reason he took her when he broke out was to keep her safe. Safe from people like Nick Fowler. And now he's completely failed, and might lose the one person he loves the most in this world. He can't let that happen. He has to save her.

Grabbing the letter, Steve looks over it once more. 'Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, and dust to dust. When we all fall asleep, where do we go?' Steve knows where Nick means immediately and he quickly rushes out of the door. "Just hold on Y/N. I'm coming."

Pain. That's all Y/N recognises. Pain. The back of her head is throbbing, and her entire body feels like it's screaming at her. Everything hurts, even breathing. As Y/N winces in pain, she can taste something metallic in her mouth. It doesn't take her long to realise what the taste is. God, Nick must've hit her pretty hard. A strange moaning noise fills the air, and Y/N doesn't even want to think about where it's coming from. She just wants to leave and go back to Steve.

Steve. God knows what he's thinking right now. No doubt he thinks she's fled and gone to the FBI and CIA to spill everything. "No. He won't think that. He can't. Steve loves me, and I love him. He has to know that." She thinks. Their argument flashes through her mind again, and Y/N sniffs. The last thing she and Steve did was argue. And now she might never be able to tell him she's sorry. Steve's pained face haunts her memory. He looked so hurt by her words. Not that she blames him, though. After all, she basically told him she hates being with him. Or at least, that's how it came across. Hopefully, he heard her screaming or realised something was wrong, and he's looking for her.

Even though at this rate, Y/N's not holding out much hope. So, it's time to save herself. Using all her strength just to lift her body off the floor, Y/N tries to sit up, clenching her teeth to get through the pain. Immediately, she regrets her decision as the pain in her head amplifies, and she becomes even dizzier. Yet despite how weak she feels, Y/N knows she has to push through, because her survival depends on it. She tries to use her hands to steady herself, but she can't move them. She wiggles her wrists, feeling the hard plastic of a zip tie digging into her skin. Shit.