Chapter Ten: Begin Again (FINALE)

Chapter Warnings: This chapter has mentions of death, murder, stabbing, cannibalism, serial killers, kidnapping, a lot of blood, and graphic descriptions of violence and injuries. Also mentions of reader's trauma and PTSD after everything she's been through, and her survivors guilt. And of course, Steve Kemp and Nick Fowler, because those two are warnings all on their own, let alone together.

~~~

Lying on the floor, Y/N listens as the sirens sound and as the blood continues to flow from her side. She presses her hand to the wound, trying to stop the flow, but it only adds to the pain. Biting her lip, Y/N hisses as she tries to hold back her cries of pain. Lying back, she wonders where Steve is now. Hopefully, he's safe. Even though now she wishes she went with him. The sound of the sirens gradually grows louder and louder until she realises they're outside. Sighing, Y/N braces herself. Because once those doors open, everything changes. And this time, she doesn't know how she'll survive it on her own.

The door soon bursts open, and she hears voices shouting. "FBI, hands in the air!" Y/N lifts her hands, even though doing so sends more pain throughout her body. Rapidly, footsteps approach her.

"I'm FBI Agent Y/N Y/L/N. Please don't shoot." She mumbles.

"Y/N! Oh god. What happened to you?" A familiar voice, that of her boss, sounds. "Hey, we need an ambulance over here!" He bends down, studying her bloody and bruised body. "Shit." He murmurs, taking off his jacket and holding it against her side to stop the bleeding. "Y/N, where's Kemp? Is he still here?" He asks. Y/N's eyes fill with tears before she can even stop them.

"I don't know." She sniffles, and her boss sighs.

"It's okay. You're safe now. Don't worry about him. He can't hurt you anymore." If only she could tell them the truth about how truly kind Steve was to her, and how he defended her against Nick. Maybe then, things would be different. But nobody would believe her anyway. Once again, her thoughts drift to Steve and the times they spent together. They were so happy, so free. And now, she doesn't know if she'll ever see him again.

"Sir, there's one body over here. It's Fowler." A voice sounds, cutting through her thoughts. Immediately, Y/N gasps.

"Sir, it was Nick. The killings, everything, it was all-" she exclaims, hoping they believe her and that she's not sent to prison on a murder charge. To her surprise, though, a look of shame crosses her boss' expression, and he nods.

"Don't waste your strength. It's alright. We know." Y/N breathes a sigh of relief. "Well done, kid. You solved the case after all." Even though Y/N can feel herself starting to lose consciousness, a small smile crosses her lips.

"I did, didn't I?" she murmurs.

"We better get you out of here. It looks like you're about to end up the same way as Nick." The sound of sirens fills the air again, and her boss breathes a sigh of relief. But Y/N can feel herself starting to slip away.

"I don't want to die." She whispers.

"And you won't. I won't let you." Her boss promises. He looks over her body once again, swearing as he sees his jacket becoming increasingly more soaked with blood. "Where the fuck is that ambulance?!" He yells. "Come on Y/N, just stay awake for me, okay? Just hold on, please." Her boss looks over her body once again, swearing as he sees his jacket becoming increasingly more soaked with blood. As Y/N's eyes begin to drift shut, strangely, she feels oddly at peace. The nightmare is finally over. And at least she got to say goodbye to Steve.