Chapter Eight: The Oncoming Storm

Chapter Warnings: This chapter has mentions of cannibalism and cannibalistic thoughts, death/murder, serial killers, kidnapping, blood, violence, injuries, bruising, weapons, anxiety and paranoia, manipulation and the reader thinking she's going crazy. One again, everything Steve does to people is a warning. And of course, Steve Kemp and Nick Fowler, because those two are warnings all on their own, let alone together. 

~~~

Nick honestly didn't mean for his life to turn out like this, with him a cannibalistic serial killer, just like Steve Kemp. It just...happened. When he first began working at the CIA, before everything with Steve and Y/N, and before he became a monster too, Nick Fowler was nothing more than a newcomer hoping to prove himself worthy on his first undercover mission. A mission where Nick was to investigate a possible cannibalism ring as a prospective trainee. What a way to haze the new guy. Then again, it wasn't as if Nick had much choice. After all, he had to find some way to pay the bills, and if this is how it needs to be done, then so be it.

Of course, Nick was worried about the mission. It would be surprising if anyone wasn't. Yet, despite his apprehension, Nick still felt a sick, dark excitement at being involved in something like this. He wasn't excited about taking down a criminal enterprise. What excited him was he idea of being a cannibal, sampling humans and making even more money through his own criminal enterprise. After having little money in his life before joining the CIA, Nick always wanted more, so the chance to earn more was enticing to him. Especially since it was dirty money.

And besides, just because he had to destroy this cannibal's entire operation didn't mean that he couldn't enjoy his time as one, or that he couldn't pick up any tips...just in case.

Even now, years later, Nick still remembers the first time he tasted human meat. "You know, I figured that if you're going to be working with me for a while, then it's about time you try the product." Nick was told. And then, a plate was pushed towards him. It looked like a standard plate of spaghetti and meatballs, but there was nothing ordinary about it. Again, though, Nick still felt the dark excitement filling his stomach. After taking a bite, it took Nick a few moments to get used to the unfamiliar sensation and taste in his mouth, but as he swallowed, he realised something. He liked it.

The man across from him, the very person Nick was sent to take down, laughed. "I recognise that look. I looked like that the first time, too. Good, isn't it?" Nick nodded, too speechless to say anything. The man grinned and clapped Nick on the shoulder. "Come on. There's so much I have to show you."

Everything in Nick's life changed from that moment, and a new world of possibilities opened up. Soon, Nick was working under the cannibal as his protégé. He trained Nick in everything he knew, and Nick was soon selling and harvesting human meat too. However, Nick decided when he got started, he'd be doing things differently than his boss. For starters, his boss was far too showy with his wealth. His house was ornately decorated, with huge paintings in gilded frames hanging on every wall. Of course, it proved that being a butcher of human meat pays well, which was even more appealing to Nick. Yet, seeing such a garish display of wealth still made Nick roll his eyes. No wonder this dumbass was being investigated by the CIA. If there's any way to show that you're questionably rich, it's this. That's not to say that Nick didn't reap the benefits of being a butcher too. Of course he did. He just decided that he wouldn't show his wealth off so much and attract suspicion. And besides, despite his new business opportunities he was still an agent, so he needs to fly under the radar.

After another few weeks, Nick's undercover mission ended, and the man he was working with soon went to prison for his crimes. Sometimes, Nick still pictures the look on his face when he realised Nick had been playing him the whole time. The betrayal on his face still makes Nick laugh. Of course, he tried to argue that Nick was just as involved as him, but nobody listened. Because who wouldn't believe the heroic, promising young CIA agent who just exposed an entire cannibalism ring over the head of said ring? If only those around him had known that despite locking up one monster, this mission unleashed another. And this one was far more dangerous than the one before him.