Chapter Five: Friends to the Wicked

Chapter Warnings: Whooo boy where to start with this one? This chapter contains mentions of: murder, serial killers, cannibalism, threats of violence and death, blood, hinted emotional manipulation/abuse and a little bit when the reader thinks she sees Steve even though he's not really there. There's also some SMUT this chapter. That includes oral sex, biting, pain and orgasms. Also. Steve Kemp and Nick Fowler being their unhinged and possessive selves towards the poor reader. One might be more noticeably unhinged than the other though. 

~~~

The meeting continues for a short while longer, most of which Y/N spends trying not to stare at Nick, despite how much she wants to. He really is cute. And she's going to get to work closely with him and get to know him better. In her opinion, that's a dream job. Nick meets her gaze again every so often, and he gives her a small smile each time. One that gives her a warm feeling inside. Once the meeting is over and people begin to file out of the room, Nick walks up to her, still grinning.

"Hi. You're Agent Y/N Y/L/N, right?"

"Yup, that's me." She nods, holding out her hand for Nick to shake, which he does. As his fingers brush against hers, Y/N sighs happily.

"I've heard a lot about you. Your boss speaks very highly of you and your work. I've been looking forward to meeting you, actually." He grins, making her blush slightly. God, this guy is a charmer. However, Y/N's grin is short-lived. As more people leave the room, she and Nick notice some people giving her a dirty look. Y/N sighs, and Nick raises a brow. "Is everything...okay with that? Do you need help with anything?" He asks. Y/N chuckles awkwardly, shaking her head.

"It's okay." She lies. "I guess talking to serial killers every day doesn't help me make too many friends." She laughs awkwardly. "Please don't worry about me, Nick, honestly. I'll be okay." Nick nods, but he still frowns slightly, as if he doesn't fully believe her. However, Y/N knows there's no way she can tell her cute new co-worker the truth about her working environment and that a cannibalistic serial killer is her only friend. There's no need to scare off the poor guy before he gets started.

"Well, I'm glad to be your friend." Nick reassures her, making her smile again. God, is this guy perfect or what? "Anyway...we have a case to solve, so would you like to go out for dinner sometime to discuss what you have so far? It'll be nice to get to know you some more too." Nick asks. Despite the returning blush she feels at that moment, Y/N frowns.

"Did you just ask me if I want to look at a cannibal case...over dinner?" She asks. Nick's eyes widen, and his cheeks turn scarlet.

"Oh god, you're right. That's the worst possible thing I could've suggested, isn't it?" He groans. "I'm sorry, I just figured that going out for dinner together is the normal thing people do when they want to know each other better, right? Maybe I should start over." Y/N reaches out and gently places a reassuring hand on Nick's forearm.

"It's okay. Dinner sounds great...but maybe we should schedule the case discussion separately?" She asks. Suddenly, Y/N realises that her hand is still on his forearm. Gasping, she removes it quickly, her cheeks flushing an even deeper red. That's not something you do when you've just met someone. To her surprise. though, Nick smiles with a soft chuckle. And Nick's smile makes her smile even more, this time an even wider smile.

"That sounds good. I have to go and be busy, but...." Nick takes her phone from her without another word, inputting his number into it. "Give me a call sometime, alright?" He winks before disappearing down the hallway into another office. Y/N watches him go, sighing happily. Nick really is cute. And he seems to like her too, which is a nice change. She's never really felt this way about anyone else before. Well, anyone who isn't Steve. However, maybe Nick's arrival is a sign of better things, as she said. In fact, maybe things will turn out well after all, and she won't have to worry too much about Steve or her feelings towards him, whatever they may be.