↳ i.ii

As the night grew closer, Aemon made his nightly visit to the Queen's chambers to wish her a good night

As the night grew closer, Aemon made his nightly visit to the Queen's chambers to wish her a good night. As he entered the room, Queen Aemma sat on a couch as she looked out at the nightly city below her.

When she heard his footsteps she looked to him and smiled. "Oh, Aemon. I do enjoy your visits."

"I do as well cousin. How are you feeling?" He looked at her swollen belly as she rubbed it gently.

"I'm telling you Aemon, this child is draining everything of me." She smiled a bit, "I am ready for it to come." There was a moment of silence as Aemon nodded and continued to stare at her stomach. "Can I tell you something?"

Aemon hummed as he adjusted to look at her face again.

"You smell like dragon." She whispered as she leaned forward and smiled, trying to break the tension between them.

"I apologize," Aemon laughed a bit, "I did go riding today, with Rhaenyra."

"I know, she smelled the same." She laughed again, "It must have been her idea, I assume?" Aemon nodded, still smiling. "I do feel better knowing that you're up there with her."

There was another moment of silence as their laughter died and Aemon's eyes returned to the swollen bump that loomed large on his shoulders. "I know." She stated randomly.

"You know what, my Queen?" Aemon wondered as he looked at her violet eyes again.

"When you look at me, with child, you think of your mother." Aemon averted his eyes again, looking at the floor to his side. Aemma reached for his cheek, pulling him to look at her again. "I know, and it's alright." Aemon couldn't say anything. His thoughts ran back to his mother as she kept speaking, "She was an amazing woman and she loved you Aemon. Just as I do, although a mother's love is much stronger. What happened to her is rare and she fought that infection for so long so that she could raise you."

"I just wish she would have married my father. Then I'd at least have a name. I loved her and I know she loved me but I wish that she had married him." Aemon felt guilty for having wished she made a different choice. She was dead, there was nothing he could do to change his name or her life now that she was gone.

"I know..." Aemma kept her hand on his cheek as she rubbed her thumb over his cheekbone. "But she tried, I'm not one for rumors but..."

Aemon cut her off, "I don't want to speak of the rumors. I don't care who he is. He's either dead or a terrible person for leaving my mother pregnant and alone. I choose to believe he's dead. It makes it easier."

"I understand." She removed her hand from his cheek before saying; "Alright," She adjusted the blanket on her lap. "Give me a kiss so I may go to sleep." She smiled at him as he stood and smiled as he kissed her cheek. She took his face in her hands as she said, "I want you to know that no matter what your name is, you are just as much a Targaryen as I am. You are a part of this family no matter what anyone says. I am glad to have been somewhat of a mother to you through all of these years." She kissed his forehead before he stood up straight.

"Thank you, my Queen." She gave him a stern look as she looked up at him. "Sorry," He repeated, "Thank you, Aemma."

WRITER'S WHINING ― this is more of a smaller chapter but I wanted to show just how close aemon and aemma are. we saw some of it in the prologue but they really are just the sweetest. the tourney is next so we get some action and flirting.