↳ ii.viii

Rhaenyra's wedding celebration had arrived and the opening banquet was in full swing as Aemon busied himself around the room

Rhaenyra's wedding celebration had arrived and the opening banquet was in full swing as Aemon busied himself around the room. Because of Daemon's absence, Aemon had been offered a seat at the high table next to Lord Strong and he had been more than grateful to accept it.

Aemon wore the colors of House Targaryen as he was bid by the King. He was trying to show that Aemon was a part of the family so the Celtigars would feel as though they were actually being honored by the impending match.

Feeling as though a seat at the high table was far too much for him, Aemon descended the steps and began talking with Ser Harwin.

They had become better friends over the past few days, often sparing in the courtyard together. While Aemon did not necessarily like his brother, he found Ser Harwin to be as fair and honorable as his father.

Their conversation was interrupted when the doors to the throne room opened, the room falling silent as Ser Harrold Westerling introduced the Velaryons and Aemon quickly made his way back up the steps to the high table and took his position to the right of Ser Lyonel.

They looked grand as they made their way through the center of the hall and Aemon couldn't help himself to think of how opulent the family was. How Rhaenys, although not Queen looked like one.

When Rhaenyra and Laenor met at the front of the table, he kissed her hand and Rhaenyra smiled and the room erupted with applause as they all began to take their seats.

Just as they were ready to resume the party, Aemon looked up to see Daemon sauntering in. There was no announcement from Ser Harrold as he looked stunned and the room remained quiet.

Without even an exchange of words, the King, although looking displeased, motioned for a chair to be brought forward and placed at the end of the table, next to Aemon's own. Aemon tried not to roll his eyes at his cousin as he sat proudly before the King readied to open the feast. With his opening words, Aemon barely paid attention as he stared at his plate until Viserys stopped. Aemon looked at his cousin and then to the doors at the back of the room.

He saw Alicent, finally choosing to join the celebrations. The whole room stood to honor the Queen but what truly shocked Aemon was her dress. It was green, a bright green, emerald even. He wasn't dumb, he knew what green represented to the Hightowers. It meant war.

As Alicent descended the stairs, Aemon thought of how they had not spoken in days, they'd barely looked at each other and they wouldn't be doing that now.

Aemon could tell that Viserys was already frustrated with Daemon's surprise appearance but then with Alicent entering during his speech, he was not pleased by the whole affair.

"Congratulations, stepdaughter. This is a joyous occasion for you." Alicent said to Rhaenyra when she came to her seat, passing Aemon without even a look. She'd never called her stepdaughter before.

"Please be seated," Viserys spoke as the room took their seats again.

Aemon wondered if anyone else wanted to make an appearance. Perhaps Aemma's ghost wished to walk through the door and give the man a heart attack.