↳ ii.v

The torchlight flickered along the cold stone walls of the Red Keep as Aemon Targaryen walked through the dimly lit halls

The torchlight flickered along the cold stone walls of the Red Keep as Aemon Targaryen walked through the dimly lit halls. He had heard whispers of Lord Hightower's departure from the court, the fallout of political machinations and power struggles. As he turned a corner, the echoes of quiet sobbing reached his ears. Aemon's steps slowed, and he followed the sound until he found Queen Alicent, her back turned, shoulders shaking with silent tears.

"Alicent," he spoke softly, not wanting to startle her. She turned, her eyes red-rimmed, and for a moment, there was a flicker of surprise in her gaze before she composed herself.

"Aemon," she acknowledged, wiping away the tears that had escaped.

Wordlessly, Aemon approached her and took her in his arms. The tension in her body melted against him, and she buried her face in his shoulder. The weight of her grief pressed against him, and Aemon held her with a comforting familiarity in the dark halls of the castle.

"He's gone," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "My father has been banished from court. Sent away like some common criminal."

Aemon couldn't muster any sympathy for Lord Hightower, a man whose ambition and cunning had played a part in many political games. Still, he felt a pang of empathy for Alicent, who still loved her father and depended on him.

Aemon murmured, "Losing family is never easy, no matter where they go."

Alicent nodded against his shoulder, her grip on him tightening. "I never thought I would feel such sorrow for his departure. But he's still my blood."

Aemon sighed, the complexity of family ties resonating within him. "Sometimes, blood ties are a burden we carry whether we want to or not."

They stood in the corridor, the silence broken only by the occasional echo of footsteps from distant servants. Aemon continued to hold her, a silent presence in her moment of vulnerability, hoping that none would see their private moment.

"I married your cousin," Alicent said after a while, her voice muffled against his shoulder.

It had been the first time either of them had mentioned it in three years and Aemon felt a twinge of pain at the reminder, the reminder that she belonged to another, and the boundaries of their relationship were defined by duty rather than desire. "Yes," he replied, his tone neutral.

"And yet, you comfort me," she observed, pulling back to meet his eyes.

"Aye," Aemon admitted, his gaze unwavering. "Though you are a queen by marriage, you are still a woman with feelings. And I..." He paused, the unspoken words lingering in the air.

"And you?" Alicent prompted, searching his face for a glimpse of what he dared not say.

Aemon hesitated, then spoke with a quiet intensity. "I still care, Alicent. Despite it all, I still care."