↳ i.ix

Alicent could barely keep herself together as she sat with Aemon in their secret spot

Alicent could barely keep herself together as she sat with Aemon in their secret spot. This room had become their own paradise, their own safe haven, and here she was, trying to tell him that their paradise, their safe haven was going to crumble.

The secrets she'd been holding for six months were eating her alive and picking at her nails had become more common even though Aemon had begged her to stop. Unlike her father, Aemon wasn't disappointed in her harmful trait, he was worried. He worried about her, that's what he always did. It was the first time Alicent actually felt heard and seen as her true self. With her father, Rhaenyra, and the King, she only needed to do as they wished, that was her duty. But with Aemon, she could do as she wished, she felt free to be herself.

"I may or may not have stolen some food from the kitchen." Aemon laughed as he kissed her cheek and set the basket of stolen food on the ground.

Alicent forced out a laugh as she tried to seem as if everything was okay when it wasn't. She picked at her nails as he started unpacking the food, the pain causing her to forget about all of the other pain that surrounded her. "I heard Rhaenyra went to Dragonstone." Alicent tried to divert away from talking about herself as much as possible.

"Yeah," Aemon seemed somewhat distant but continued. "Apparently he gave back the egg."

"Daemon?" Alicent had just taken a bite of some bread as she spoke, hand over mouth to be polite.

"Mmhmm... the King was surely upset." Aemon spread some jam on the bread.

"I'd imagine, he can't just go around stealing dragon eggs for his..." She stopped herself as she averted her gaze from him. "I'm sorry."

"No. I understand. He can't just give out eggs to every bastard he has." Aemon laughed before he completed his thought, "Knowing Daemon, there'd be too many bastards and not enough eggs."

They both laughed as they continued to eat. The various fruits and vegetables being devoured in minutes. "The King was more upset with Rhaenyra than Daemon."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Daemon can be dealt with, he just wanted attention. Rhaenyra risked her life after the King told her not to go." Aemon said as he brushed his hands on his pants.

"Well, she did get the egg back, safely."

"True."

Another moment of silence passed as they sat comfortably. "Are you okay?" He asked, his mouth full of lemon cake.

She hummed, "Why do you ask?"

"You're picking your fingers again. You know I hate it when you do that." He pointed to her hands that were fidgeting in her lap.

"Why don't you like it?" She hadn't asked him before this. She just knew he didn't like it.

"Because it hurts you, right?" Alicent looked down at her hands again as Aemon set the lemon cake to the side. "I can't imagine something that draws blood can make you feel good."