↳ i.vii

It had been six months since Aemon had kissed Alicent and more importantly since King Viserys had named Rhaenyra his heir

It had been six months since Aemon had kissed Alicent and more importantly since King Viserys had named Rhaenyra his heir. Aemon had not spoken to Daemon in those six months. His anger towards Daemon from the tourney grew after his statements about Prince Baelon.

Even though it had been six months, Aemon felt like nothing had changed. He and Alicent continued to meet privately. Their love for each other is only words, small touches, and kisses. Nothing more.

Aemon had recently returned from dragonback when he happened upon his cousin reviewing the potential Kingsguard members. She seemed utterly bored as she watched the knights.

"Cousin." Aemon greeted as he approached the girl, removing his riding gloves. He ignored the presence of Otto Hightower looming over Rhaenyra's shoulder. The Princess hums and waves him off as he chuckles at her reaction. "Have you had any luck?"

"No, I do believe none of them have seen real combat." She sighed, and looked to Ser Harrold, "Do any of these knights have combat experience? Beyond capturing poachers." She whispered the last part in jest.

Ser Harrold moved to what looked like a chessboard behind them. He brought forth a piece shaped like a pillar, "Ser Criston Cole." Aemon remembered that name from the tourney months ago. Alicent had been smitten with him at the time and that had sparked some type of jealousy within him. Aemon peered over the balcony, Ser Criston walked to the center of the room while Ser Harrold spoke, "Son of the steward of the Lord of Blackhaven."

Aemon thought about the prospect of Criston as a member of the Kingsguard. From the rumors, Ser Criston would make a fine addition, he was skilled and experienced. "Be welcome, Ser Criston." Rhaenyra spoke gently, her previously annoyed demeanor fading.  The knight nodded to her as she continued, bracing her forearms on the balcony railing, "You saw combat in the Stormlands."

"Dornish marches, Princess." He corrected and she smiled at him again. "I fought for a year as a foot soldier against the Dornish incursions." Aemon thought again at how much experience the young man had. "Ser Arlan Dondarrion knight me after we razed two of the watchtower along the Boneway."

Rhaenyra nodded again as she smiled. She gave Aemon a brief look, to which simply smiled at her. She turned to Ser Harrold proudly, "I choose Ser Criston Cole."

She swiftly descended the small stool she stood on while the Hand stopped her, "Let's not be too hasty, Princess." Aemon could see that Rhaenyra was non-to-pleased with his displeasure in her decision. "There's no doubt Ser Criston is a fine warrior, but houses such as Crakehall and Mallister are important allies of The Crown." Aemon returned his gaze to the knight below before looking around and spotting Princess Rhaenys also watching the selection. He looked to Ser Harrold who did not look too pleased with the Hand attempting to undermine the Princess' decision. "Seagard, for instance, is the realm's prime defense against reavers from the Iron Islands."

"Those men are tourney knights." Rhaenyra interrupted, "My father should be defended by a man who's known real combat." She looked at Ser Harrold and then at Aemon. "Should he not?"

"Of course, Princess." Rhaenyra made to leave when the Hand spoke, "Perhaps you could rethink-"

"I do believe that the heir to the throne has made her decision quite clear, My Lord." Aemon spoke as he moved to pass Otto and stand next to his cousin.

"Well, let us plan Ser Criston's investiture then." They both turned and walked away as Ser Harrold followed.

"Will you join me on a walk, cousin?" Rhaenyra looked up at him, "I fear that Lady Alicent has been consumed with other matters as of late." Rhaenyra seemed dejected as they walked.

"I'm sure she is simply busy with other things. Nothing personal against you, Princess." He felt guilty for hiding his relationship with Alicent from her. Their love couldn't be known due to their different standings. Not even Rhaenyra could know.

"I'm sure, perhaps you could speak to her." Rhaenyra inquired as she gazed at him.

"Why me?" He tried to cover the worry in his voice as he looked down at her.

"She seems to prefer your company over mine." Rhaenyra seemed slightly jealous in her tone but Aemon shrugged it off. "I truly just wish to spend time with my best friend again." It was rare for Aemon to see Rhaenyra voice her wishes in such a sad way.

"Perhaps you could join her for prayer?" Aemon suggested, knowing that prayer was something Alicent made a priority, especially after her own mother's death.

"Prayer?" Rhaenyra sounded surprised, "I don't pray to stone gods." She seemed slightly dismissive.

"I never said you had to pray." Aemon attempted to defend Alicent, "Prayer is important to Alicent, her faith is important to her. Joining her could show her that you at least value and respect her beliefs."

Rhaenyra made a small scoff, possibly wishing she had never started the conversation. "If you are to be Queen, you'll need to show the people the same respect. Even if you don't believe in the gods, old or new, many in Westeros do." Rhaenyra crossed her arms as she looked at her cousin. "They will want assurance that their Queen will respect their faith."

"I don't think I need advice from you, Aemon." Rhaenyra scoffed again as she rolled her eyes before walking away, shaking her head. Ser Harrold followed her as he was bid to but as he had rarely done before, the Kingsguard gave Aemon a small nod, confusing the boy.

Aemon knew he was right, whether or not Rhaenyra knew it. In order to rule the realm, she needed to be liked at the very least. His grandfather Jaehaerys was loved and he faced very little opposition during his reign. All Aemon wanted was for Rhaenyra to be remembered the same, although he could already tell she was far more reckless than his grandfather.

WRITER'S WHINING ― another short chapter of connected tissue but i'm so excited for what's coming next so look out