Chapter Two

"And that's how I managed to find myself on the awkward situation of the Madame and her manservant." Aunt Olga, Father's older sister, came the next day for afternoon tea and gossip. Now, I'm not usually one to gossip but I do find some joy in hearing whatever my aunt will gossip about next.

"Did you know that Mrs Walter let the horse master inside her house right after her husband left for a business trip?"

Ah, yes. The infamous tell of the mayor's wife having an affair behind his back. She told me nearly the same last week about Mr Walter's mother!

"Are you sure it wasn't because their collie was in labor?"

Aunt Olga shook her head, like it was impossible for her to be wrong. "No, because Mrs Smith sent her kitchen boy over and he saw them going upstairs. Now if that's not a clear indication of an affair!"

"I thought you didn't believe everything she said." I smiled behind my tea.

"Well, I-. Of-of course I don't. I meant I-oh, there you are Maria." She addressed my mother, smiling innocently.

Mother glanced at me, knowing what Aunt Olga was speaking of. "Hello, Olga, how is Mr Mittens?"

"As pampered as a prized horse. That cat is so spoiled and lazy, he doesn't do anything anymore!"

I stared inside my teacup. It's a wonder why you two get along so well.

"My dear Arinya," Aunt Olga spoke, interrupting my thoughts. "I just so happened to run into Mrs Beckwith on my way here. And I discovered she's looking for someone for her only son."

"And naturally you thought of me?" I tried to keep the sarcasm but failed.

Mother placed her hand on my arm. "Arinya, darling, you should be grateful that your aunt is looking out for you."

"Especially considering you're over twenty," commented Olga, sipping her tea. "I'm afraid you can't be too picky anymore, after what happened with your failed engagement."

"That was not my fault." I hissed.

"I'm not saying it was, dear. Your mother and I are just worried about your reputation and welfare."

"Of course."

"I'm mean you don't want to end up like your sister, don't you? That tro-"

Mother raised her eyebrow in disapproval, stopping Aunt Olga from saying anything further.

"Troll of a scandal." She said, nodding, like to convince Mother that was what she was going to say. "It was an absolute scandal, I tell you."

I hid my smile behind my napkin, careful not to let my mother see.

"We don't know for sure why she ran away." Mother retorted back.

"Oh?" Aunt Olga continued to argue. "What about that stable boy she claimed to love? Who's to say she didn't run away to marry him against your wishes?"

"Ellery would never do that."

"Is that so? Well, maybe you don't know your own daughter like you should."

I sipped contently of my tea, waiting for my next strike.

Mother turned to me. "Arinya, would you be a dear and get more biscuits? I believe the cook baked a fresh batch." Her tone was hard. She was going to have a stern conversation with her sister-in-law and didn't want me present.

I took the tin and hurried away while the women continued to throw darts at each other.

"Who's winning?" Our cook asked, helping me fill the tin.

"Neither, right now," I informed, laying a strawberry scone on top.

"Half a pound if your aunt wins!"

Mother and Aunt Olga were still glaring at each other from across their teacups.

"I'm back!" I purposely laid it on the table with a loud clang. "Did I miss anything?"

Aunt Olga took the top biscuit, chewing on it while attempting to stick Mother against the wall like a bug in a glassed frame. "Nothing, dear. You didn't miss a thing."

I cleared my throat, thinking of something to cut the tension. "Mother? You needed to ask Aunt Olga something, didn't you?"

She smiled at me, thankful for my quick thinking. "Yes, I do. But would you like to ask her?"

"I think it would sound better coming from you."

"But you received the letter, didn't you?"

I glanced between the women, unsure what to do.

"The old woman is not getting younger." Aunt Olga commented, starring at her biscuit.

Mother sighed. "Very well. Arinya received an invitation to Lady Wildridge's ball the other day."

Olga's mouth fell open. "The old broad really is hosting a ball? And asks for Arinya specifically to come?"

Mother frowned. "Yes. Which leads to my question."

"I'm listening."

"Since I might be staying home with Maebelle, I was wondering if you would chaperone the older girls."

"That depends."

"On what?"

She drunk the rest of her tea. "Will wine be there?"

"Aunt Olga!"

"What? An old woman needs to know." She looked as innocent as a girl in church.

"Olga?"

She sighed, rolled her eyes. "I suppose I could. I have nothing better to do."

Mother cleared her throat and rose from her chair. "Well, if you two will excuse me, I shall go write a letter to Lady Wildridge and make certain that there is no alcohol."

Aunt Olga put her lip out and suddenly looked like an older version of both Sophie and Minnie. "You're an absolute spoilsport, Maria."