Chapter Fifteen

"Miss Williams?"

I glanced up at Detective Mallory. "Yes?"

"Would you please explain how you managed to be at the exact place and time of Lady Wildridge's attempted murder?"

I sighed. I should have known the detective would suspect me. I'm practically cursed with stumbling upon crime-related scenes.

"I wanted to make sure she was doing well after what happened to poor Lord Wildridge."

"I see." He wrote whatever down in his book. "One of our witnesses says you were seen carrying her ladyship's breakfast tray."

"Yes. I ran into one of her maids on my way and offered to take it."

"Did you notice anything unusual in the room?"

"What do you mean?"

"Was there anything out of the ordinary in Lady Wildridge's bedchamber?"

"No, I don't believe so."

"Please think, Miss Williams."

I frowned. "Why are you suddenly interested in anything I have to say? You pretty much ruled me as the first suspect when Lord Wildridge was found."

Detective Mallory set his notebook aside. "Because I'm trying to figure out the culprit's motive. This case seems far more personal than simply getting their hands on the will. I don't suppose Lord Wildridge mentioned anything to you about it."

"No, I'm afraid not."

The man narrowed his eyes. "Do you know why I became a detective, Miss Williams?"

"So London could be safer?"

"No, because as a young child, I discovered I had a talent for knowing when people lied."

I forced myself not to flinch.

"I went to a university to become a lawyer like my father. Unfortunately, something tragic happened and I decided to become a police officer. I worked for many years before I was accepted into the detective agency."

Was I supposed to congratulate him?

"So you see, Miss Williams, if someone was hiding something or lying to protect someone, I'd be the first to find out."

I smiled. "And I'm sure Lady Wildridge feels a lot safer with experienced men like yourself working the case."

"Miss Williams-"

Someone knocked on the door. "Mallory, have you seen-" Mr King's eyes found me.

"Miss Williams."

"Mr King."

"King, what is it? Can't you see I'm in the middle of something?"

"Yes, forgive my interruption, but I need to speak with Miss Williams immediately."

"Me?" I inquired at the same time Detective Mallory asked, "You do?"

"Yes." He glanced at me. "If that's all right."

Anything to get out of this man's questioning.

"What was this important matter you needed to speak with about?"

Mr King opened a door into one of Lord Wildridge's night rooms for his guests. "In here."

"Speaking unchaperoned? My, the scandal."

"I'm serious, Miss Williams." He kept glancing behind him. "What I need to speak of is for your ears only."

Oh.

I waited until he shut the door. "Mr King?"

He paced in front of the empty fireplace. "What I have to tell you is not an easy thing to say. Especially when you're so fond of him."

I wasn't sure I wanted to know anymore. "Who?"

He sighed. "I couldn't sleep, so I paced back and forth in the hallway. That was when I noticed a person lurking. The lightning flashed and it was Sinclair."

"Ralph?" What was he doing at such an ungodly hour?

"Yes. I followed him to Lady Wildridge's bedchamber. He went inside for a full five minutes and then came back out. About that time, you came with the breakfast tray and Sinclair had hidden behind some curtains."

Now that I think about it, I do remember the curtains swaying right before I went in.

Oh my God, is Ralph- I had to hold on to a nearby chair to steady myself. "What do you think he was doing?"

"That's what I'm wanting to know. But no one has seen Sinclair and Lady Wildridge says that she didn't wake up until you came in."

What were you doing, Ralph?

Mr King stepped toward me. "I'm sorry you had to hear it from me, Miss Williams. I thought you should be the first person to know."

I nodded. "I appreciate you telling me."

"I'm not saying he's the culprit, but it's mighty suspicious that he would sneak around before anyone was awake and then hide when he saw you coming."

I frowned. "Unless he thought I saw someone else."

"Pardon?"

"Think about it, it was dark. It's possible he didn't know it was me."

"But would you be willing to stake your life on that, Miss Williams?"

"Right now, it's our only hope."

"Our?"

I crossed my arms. "Yes, if you're up for the challenge, I'd like to offer my assistance in helping you find the suspect."