Chapter Ten

I waited until the heavy footsteps passed before moving. And backed up into Ralph.

"Remove your hand, Sinclair."

"Forgive me, I was simply keeping you steady in case you fell."

I ignored him, feeling my way to the bookshelf. Once I found it, I stood on my toes to the diamond-shaped corner of the shelf but alast, I was too short.

"May I be of assistance?"

"No, I'm fine." I tried to move the bottom of the square to the right with my fingertips.

"Darling, just admit you need help."

I let out a sigh. "Fine. I need to twist the square with diamond to the right."

"Can you ask nicely?"

"I'm not a child."

"No, but you're hard-headed like one."

"Can you please help me?"

He smiled. "I'd be delighted, darling."

Prick.

Ralph twisted the square diamond to the right, resulting in the hidden door clinking open.

He struck a match and lit a candelabra. "Let me go. There could be spiders."

I took the candle from him. "I'm not afraid of spiders."

He let out a sigh. "Just hurry and find whatever you think you need to and get out."

I walked up the stairs in the passageway. Yes, it's one of those sophisticated hidden passages. But still, I kept a hand on the wall to watch where I was going.

There was some scurring in the dark corners but I didn't investigate, knowing it was just rats.

Turning a corner, I heard muffled voices coming from a wall.

Pressing my ear against the wall, I could only make out a few words.

"...Wildridge...knife...Williams."

What were these people talking about?

In the corner of my eye, there was a metal contraption of some sort. Finding it could easily open, the male voices were more clear.

"Mr King, I appreciate you coming, truly. But there's already inspectors looking into it."

Lady Wildridge?

"Pardon me, Madame, but does it find it odd that they came almost instantly after your husband was murdered?"

My brows knitted. I did find it odd how quickly they came.

"Please, Mr King, I do not need your help. Now, pray, excuse me."

"Of course, your grace. Forgive me, if I offended you."

"Try to enjoy the rest of your evening, gentlemen."

The men were quiet for a long time.

"Do you think she killed him?"

"It's hard to tell." Mr King remarked. "But at the moment, Mallory suspects the Williams' daughter."

My blood ran cold. The detective already suspects me of murdering Lord Wildridge? I suppose my being at the murder scene does cause suspiciousness.

"Arinya Williams?"

"Yes, do you know her?"

"Not personally, but I've heard what an, pardon me, bitch she can be."