Chapter Fourteen

"Arinya?" A hand shook my shoulder.

On instinct, I held the loaded pistol under the person's chin.

Aunt Olga was unfazed. "Do you always sleep with your pistol?"

"With an assassin on the loose, it doesn't hurt to be prepared."

"Well, I'm heading to bed. My head is throbbing something awful."

Can't imagine why. "How's Colin? Has he succumbed to his wounds yet?"

"Unfortunately, no. But one must keep hope."

I smiled. "Do you think he'll be all right for a while? I need to see how Lady Wildridge is doing?"

"Yes. And see if she knows how much longer we'll be staying at Wildridge Manor."

"Surely you're not tired of her hospitality yet, Aunt Olga?"

"Me, tired of wine? Never. But Mr. Mittens must miss me."

I bit my smile. "Let me wake up Christina first."

"Please do, I'm pretty sure I heard her muttering about marrying the Prince."

I laughed under my breath and I shook my sister. "Crissy, wake up."

She groaned. "Leave me alone, Ari. I'm going to be a princess."

"You can dream about it another time, now come on, Aunt Olga is going to bed."

She sat up, her chin in her hand. "So why must I be awake?"

"Because you're in charge of Colin."

"What?!" Christina sprung up from the bed and raced towards the door, blocking my way. "You cannot leave alone with that man!"

"Christina..."

"I'm serious, I won't know what to do if he should try to lay a hand on me."

Plant a facer in his crooked nose. "The man is asleep right now and in far too great a deal of pain to try something. But if he does, pressing on his wound might help you."

"Arinya..."

"I'll be back soon. I promise."

I tiptoed through the hall, realizing it was not yet dawn. No one was awake but maybe a few servants and guards. But I needed to make sure Lady Wildridge was well.

Boom!

A large rumble shook the house.

I gripped the nearest table and tried to push my heart back down where it belonged.

It was raining for the first time in weeks, but that bolt of thunder nearly caused me a heart attack.

Praying it was safe, I continued and ran into Mary, Lady Wildridge's maid, carrying the breakfast tray.

"Oh, Miss Williams. You're up awfully early."

"Yes, I wanted to see how Lady Wildridge was faring."

"Well, I'm just on my way to deliver her breakfast."

"Shall I take it?"

"You, Miss Williams?"

"I don't mind, and I'm sure you have more work to do." I reached for the tray.

Mary hesitated a brief moment before handing it over. "My head will be on your conscience."

I nodded.

Knocking on her Ladyship's door, I heard a soft "come in" before entering.

"Arinya," She sat up in bed. "What are doing? Where's Mary?"

"I sent her back to the kitchen. I hope that was alright. Forgive me, but I wanted to ask how you were faring."

She sighed. "A part of me still doesn't believe his Lordship is gone."

I poured some tea into the cup, handing it to her. "Do you know if we can go home yet?"

"Surely your aunt isn't fed up with the wine already." She gave a knowing smile.

"Oh, no. But we're both a little concerned about the length of time we'll be staying."

She sipped her tea. "In all honesty, Arinya, I'm not entirely sure."

"How are the detectives going with the investigation?"

"Well, they haven't arrested me so I think it's going well."

I smiled. "Perhaps after you break your fast, we could take a morning stroll through the garden.

"That sounds love-" Lady Wildridge suddenly started coughing violently.

I jumped to my feet. "My lady, are you well?"

She clutched her stomach and stared at me with wild eyes. "Get the doctor."

I ran and opened the door. "Someone get a doctor in here!"

A/N:
I thought I'd mention that I've been binge-watching the first season of Bridgerton for the last three days on the Cubohue app(mainly to get an understanding of that era to help me write). But I must admit, I've come to like the show:)