Chapter Four

I followed the boy through the dark part of Downtown. There was hardly anyone here. Were we on the right street?

"Excusez-moi, mais je jamais eu votre nom."
(Excuse me, but I never got your name.)

"My name is Pierre." He answered in perfect English.

"Wait, you can speak English?"

"Because I knew those men couldn't."

My brows creased. "Is your mother really ill?"

"No. I have no mother."

"Where are we going?"

"I was told to get you somewhere safe."

At that, I jerked my wrist out his grip. "Now you listen here, unless you tell me what is going on, I am not taking another step."

A chuckle came from a dark corner. "Forgive me, Arinya, but this was the only way we could talk."

"Lord Wildridge?" I lowered my voice. "What are you doing down this part of London?"

He handed Pierre a few shillings. "Good work, Philippe. And remember what I told you."

"Thank you, Monsieur!" He ran and disappeared down an alley.

"Will he be all right?"

"Yes, I have someone keeping an eye on him." He pulled out his pocket watch. "Now, about why I'm here."

"It must be extremely important if you take a day off from your duties." I knew how terribly busy his schedule was when I would come and visit during summer holiday.

"It is. Shall we?" He offered his arm.

We walked in silence back the way I came, it was a little unnerving how there was hardly anyone out this morning.

"What do you need to say?"

"Not here." He answered gruffly.

My brows knitted. Why was he being so secretive?

We finally came to the busy part of Downtown. We brushed past several people, on their way to whatever business they had. Lord Wildridge would offer a good day or two to someone but he seemed to be in just as much of a hurry as everyone else.

"Isn't that Lord Wildridge and Miss Williams?" I heard a woman asked.

"I believe her father and he are friends but...." We walked too far for me to hear the rest.

I glanced over my shoulder and two men were looking in our direction.

"S-"

"Keep walking," He said in a guttural tone. "And don't look back."

I wanted to ask him if he knew the men following us, but he led us down another street, and opened a door. "Inside, quickly."

"Sir-"

"Just go, her spies won't think to come to a place like this."

I didn't argue and walked in. Strong drink assaulted my nostrils, and I wrinkled my nose. Mother would die of disapproval if she knew where I was.

Lord Wildridge gently took my elbow and led me to the back of The Red Inn. "Do you want anything?"

I shook my head, afraid to speak. This place was loud and the amount of drinking made me uncomfortable. And I've seen Aunt Olga drink three bottles of wine in one sitting!

Lord Wildridge waved at something and ordered-

"You're planning on drinking?" I asked once the person was out of earshot.