Chapter Three

[I decided to delete that other part because it didn't fit the storyline]

(I got this particular part from Amy Kay's 'Bridgerton Seamtress ASMR' video on YouTube. Please watch it, it's really good!)

We arrived at the dress shop, surprisingly empty, except for the seamstress and her apprentice. Minnie immediately ran over to where the dolls in beautiful mini-size dresses were kept on a shelf.

The owner of the shop turned and smiled. "Oh, Mrs Williams. How wonderful it is to see you today. I trust everything is well?"

While Mother and Mrs Darlington exchanged pleasantries, I dragged my sisters to where the fabrics were kept. Sophia carefully brushed a piece of fabric in the shade of jade green. "Oh, isn't this a gorgeous color, Ari?"

"Indeed, but I doubt the color is right for you."

She sighed. "Sadly." Then she brightened and held it up to me.

Christina gasped. "Arinya, you should consider this for your gown. You'll look like a queen!"

I bit my lip as I held it against me. People have told me that dark green seems to be my best color. And this shade of green was beautiful. "I'll think about it."

"So, what can I do for you today?" The shopkeeper asked, sticking a needle in the cushion on her wrist.

"I need three gowns for Lady Wildridge's ball."

"I see. How exciting. And you said three, is Sophia not going?"

"She is. Along with her older sisters."

Mrs Darlington gasped. "Does that mean I finally get to make a dress for her?"

"Yes. I was thinking of dressing Sophia in a dark red."

The person in question raised her head from looking at different shades of blues. "Yes? Did I hear my name?"

The seamstress beamed. "Oh, she is as beautiful as her sisters. Come, let's get you measured for your gown. How do you feel about a crimson red?"

Knowing this will take at least an hour before they had an idea of what kind of gown, I whispered to Christina that if Mother asked, I was going for a walk down the street.

Once outside in the cool spring air, I strolled down the street. A few people waved and stopped me to talk about the weather. And a few mothers about the ball, anxious to get good matches for their daughters or sons. Well, forgive me for not being interested in marriage. Maybe one day, but definitely not now.

Someone whistled.

I kept going. I was almost where I needed to be.

But a giant with an ugly grin stepped in front of me. "Afternoon, miss. What's a pretty thing like you doing downtown? It's dangerous to travel alone."

I mentally checked for the man's strike points, something my formal fiancé had taught me. I suppose he was good for some things. "I have business this way."

He raised his hand to touch me but I stepped back, glancing behind me to see his other two friends, and my hand went straight to my concealed weapon. Could I escape if I made this giant fall first?

"We don't usually get such beauty this way. Why don't we escort you to wherever you need to do?"

"No, that's all right, thank you."

"Oh, come on." He came forward to grab me.

Mademoiselle!" A voice called from further down the street. A boy, about ten or twelve, came running and took my arm.

"Dépêche toi, tu dois venir!"
(Hurry, you must come!)

"Qui s'est-il passe?"
(What has happened?)

"S'il vous plaît, c'est ma mere."
(Please, it's my mother.)

He started pulling me further down the street. Was this boy trying to help me? Or was his mother really ill? Either way, I'd be rid of these men.

"Please excuse us, this boy...I'm friends with his family and his mother is ill. Good day, gentlemen."

"Wait," The giant stepped in my way again. "Shall I escort you?"

My jaw ached from clenching my teeth. This man was getting on my nerves. "No, thank you. That won't be necessary."

"But if I could-"

I glared at the man's hand on my arm. "Kindly remove yourself from my presence before I do something that will cause you to regret laying a hand on me."

He stepped closer, towering over me. He reeked of filth. "Will you, now?" He grinned lasciviously.

"Oi! Monsieur! Laisse-la tranquille!"
(Sir! Leave her alone!)

The boy immediately placed herself in front of me, trying to protect me from the ruffian.

The giant bared his teeth and grabbed the boy by his collar, lifting him up. "You listen here, boy. I don't care what kind of rubbish you told her, she is not leaving until I've talked to her!"

"Cochon." He spat in the man's face.

He dropped the boy long enough to wipe his eyes. "You little-"

I shoved my pistol in his face.

The giant held up his hands in surrender.

"Let me be clear," I pulled back the hammer, ready to shoot. And the coward flinched. "Remove yourself and your companions from my presence, or I'll shoot off your dick."

The coward of a giant nearly ran up the street. But his friends gave me a "this isn't over" look before going after him.