Chapter Thirteen

"Are you sure there isn't any way I can talk you into coming with us?" Mother asked as Ralph helped her in the carriage.

As soon as Lady Wildridge found out about her husband's body, she immediately sent away all the guests. Except for those that the inspector wanted to stay behind. Like Arinya and her family.

"Quite certain, Mother. You should be as far away from here as possible."

She sighed. "Be careful, Raphael. And don't stay away for long."

"Not if I can help it."

"Don't worry, Mother," Charles slapped Ralph's back. "I'll make sure my little brother doesn't get into any trouble."

"It's not Raphael I'm concerned about Charles."

"We'll see you soon, Mother."

As soon as our carriage left the grounds, I shrugged off my brother's arm. "I should see how Arinya is doing before retiring for the night. As should you, dear brother."

"Yes, yes, have no fear. I shall go to bed."

"And not with a certain woman you were infatuated with earlier."

He snorted. "That whore? She's only here because I brought her here. And now she's gone so I can sleep with whoever I want."

I shook my head. "I only hope you don't bargain with more than you can handle. Good night, Charles."

~~~~~
(Arinya)

After wrapping up Colin's wound and knocking him out with some of Aunt Olga's "special" medicine (don't worry, it wasn't poison, although I was tempted), he went to sleep quite soundly, sucking his thump.

I decided to take a walk and clear my head for a bit. But as soon as I opened the door, I had second thoughts.

"What are you doing here?"

Sinclair was unfazed by my biting tone. "I heard about your cousin. Is he well, or do I need to help you fake his death?"

"He's sleeping. For now."

"What exactly happened?" He walked beside me.

"Gunshot wound."

"Really? A rather bold move, don't you think?"

"I don't know." I'd rather not find out.

"How are your aunt and sisters holding up?"

"Fairly well. Although Aunt Olga managed to get into a bottle of wine."

"Can you expect anything less of her?"

Sadly, no. "Have you had any more run-ins with Mr. King?"

"No, why?"

"Surely you haven't been standing guard outside our door all this time."

He smiled. "And what if I had?"

"Then you're a fool. The killer could have very well ended you."

"Aw, is that compassion I defect?"

I glared at him. "Just know that if you do manage to get yourself killed, I won't be shedding a single tear."

"You act as if I would expect anything less."

"Why are you even here?"

"I was invited, the same as you."

"A letter of an invitation?"

He creased his brows. "No. A normal invitation."

Now was my turn to frown. Why did Sinclaire get a normal invitation? Was he the only one?