Chapter Seventeen

Ralph

~~~~~

I locked Aunt Olga's door and opened the jewelry box that kept the things from the crime scene. Probably not the best hiding spot for it, but no one's thought to look in it yet.

I took out the cuff button and fabric, along with the key Lord Wildridge entrusted me with.

What was so important about his will? Of course, it showed who in his family would get his manor, lands, and maybe even a few small businesses he owned, but to go as far as to kill him for it? Especially since they obviously had no idea where it was hidden, judging by how they tore his room apart.

I studied the golden cuff under the candlelight. As wealthy as Lord Wildridge was, he never wore gold cuffs. Saw it as a sign of boasting or pridefulness. Not to mention that his cuffs had his crest.

I tried to remember who would wear something like these.

Sir Douglas Harrison. I noticed his cuffs were gold as we were dancing.

Ralph Sinclair. He loved to flaunt his wealth.

And...Mr King. Which was odd, considering being a detective wasn't the wealthiest line of work.

The piece of fabric, however, was rough and thick like a servant's. But a servant wouldn't be skilled enough in fighting one guard, let alone three.

I sighed, blowing out the candle, and laid down on the bed.

The knob jiggled, jolting me awake.

"Ari, come on. One of the servants brought lunch."

I moaned. How did a few hours go by so quickly?

Lazily, I placed the things back in the jewelry box. But the cuff had other ideas when it decided to fall off the bureau!

Damnit!

I bent down and reached underneath.

"Arinya?"

Thud!

"Ow!" I rubbed the back of my head. "Damn you, Sinclair!"

He chuckled. "Would you like my help?"

"What I'd like to know is why you're here." I accepted his hand nonetheless.

"You didn't answer Sophia so she sent me to bring you out."

"How thoughtful of her."

"What were you doing under there? Catching mice?"

I sighed. "I'm trying to figure out some things."

"Oh? Then you might want to add this." He held up a knife. A knife with blood stains.

"Where did you get that?"

"I found it laying on my bed with a very pleasant note. It gave me the suspicion that Lady Wildridge was behind it so I went looking for clues."

"And that's why you were caught going in and out of her room?"

"How did you find out about this?"

"Oh, from a helpful little bird."

"Would this birdy's name be King?" His jawline was pulled taut.

I laughed at the way he was trying to compose himself. "Aw, is someone jealous?"

"How long have you two been...friendly?"

"We started talking soon after you disappeared."

He snorted. "That man is a rake."

"Hm, that's funny coming from you. Besides, I think he's warming up to me."

"What did he tell you?"

"Nothing much, just that he saw you going into her ladyship's room. And then, five minutes later you came out and hid from me."

"That was you?"

Ah, so I was right. He didn't know it was me.

"Hand me the knife."

Ralph put it back inside his jacket. "No. If they find it within your possession, you'll most definitely be their number one suspect."

"I'm already Mallory's number-one suspect because I'm always at the scene when something happens."

"What have you found?"

"What?"

He pointed to the jewelry box. "I take you kept some things from the detectives."

"I might have."

"May I see?"

I opened the box and allowed Ralph to gaze at the items.

He held the candle flame closer to the cuff. "I've seen these before."

"You have?"

"Yes, on Lord Wildridge's half-nephew."

"Do you know where he lives?"

"I do."

"Can we speak with him?"

"No. Because he always keeps his room locked."

"I know how to pick locks."

"You want to break into someone's room?"

"I broke into Lord Wilridge's."

"Yes, but he wasn't alive."

"Do you want to find out what he knows or not?"

"Fine. But can we make a deal?"

"What kind of deal?"

"Could we try to get along without killing each other until the end of this case? Then we never have to see each other again."

I tilted my head, studying him. His eyes were not giving me any reason to reject his offer. "Very well. It would be nice to figure this case out and not be at your throat the whole time."

"One more thing," He dug inside his pocket and pulled out a ring. My ring. "You might want to wear this."

I couldn't decide if Ralph just wanted me to wear it so Mr King would see I'm "taken" or not. "Fine. Now let's go."