Chapter 28: Backstory (part 6)

[this backstory is playing with my anxiety....]

Two days after the incident, Alessandro and Elie won't talk to each other. Elie's hatred grew as he thought that his best friend might cause the death of his beloved cousin, and Alessandro, with the view of her half dead corpse in front of him, had no words, no breath, not even good thoughts... it's only guilt eating his insides alive.

As they were sitting in her room, looking at her, like they did for the past 48 hours. She finally moved a muscle, her eyes slowly flickers and open. Elie and Alessandro jumped from their seats surprised. They both rushed to her. Elie stroked her forehead "yara! Yara! Can you hear me ?!" Her sight turned to her cousin and she smiled faintly "e-e...lie...?" Tears of joy both scrolled down their cheekbones. Nurses walked in the room, checking up on her and make sure she's alright.

After running some tests, they left them all alone, and now Yara was fully awake "w-what happened? W-hy my body is in pain?" She looked at Alessandro's bruised arms and face. "T-the b-bomb hit us?" Alessandro knelt in front of her even tho his knees are his terrible painful weakness. "I... I'm s-sorry Yara... it's my fault. I should have protected you.." he was holding her hand; begging for forgiveness. She knew what happened before blacking out. She knew that there wasn't an escape. Yet she thought why was he on his knees? Than One of Elie's man walked in, giving him a file. "Segnior. We caught him. He's not from the Cobra's.... He's from Gilbert Espada. We found him dead near the lake, with a letter stuck on his chest."

The man handed him the letter, which elie looked at Alessandro guilty, sick in his stomach, for accusing his best friend of attempting murder on his cousin. He looked at the letter and read "in life, there's light and darkness, and like your father you deserve the darkness. This little dumb play of yours and this pathetic robbery you did, will make you pay. I guess seeing your old man in pieces didn't taught you a lesson. So I thought killing your sweet little cousin, will teach you another lesson. Listen to me boy. When you face reality and become a man than we talk business. Until then, go to hell. You and your family. And I won't sleep until I have all of your heads in my office, in a beautiful silver plater." Alessandro looked at elie.

"Espada...? Isn't he the one who killed uncle?" "Damn right that's the one" hissed elie while crumbling the piece of paper between his hands. Alessandro expected an apology from elie, but same old cold elie. Didn't even look at him, too guilty. Elie excused himself out of the room for a while. Yara turned to Alessandro and held his hand "Ale..." she lifted her hand to wipe the tears of his face. The touch of her hand on his face, made him sink into the softness of it. "It's not your fault.... Don't blame yourself. If Elie didn't saw it, I saw how you held onto me." He laid his head on the mattress and started crying again. "I'm so s-sorry...." She held him tighter "Sh.... Dont say anything..."

In a week Yara was discharged of the hospital but still her face bruised with some cuts on her legs. Elie was only able to help her reach home. But he had to go for an emergency. Alessandro helped her on the way up. As he helped her reach her room, he closed the door and locked it. She smiled, thinking that was one of his sneaky moves, but as his face expressions changed, hers dropped. "Yara... I put the blame on me after everything that happened to you. My father warned me if I keep seeing you... he will try to kill you." She protested "but it was Espada! It has nothing to do with your father."

He let out a sigh before shouting "DONT YOU SEE WHATS GOING ON?! NO ONE WANTS US TO BE TOGETHER!" Her eyes started to sting as she looked at him "bring me back the Alessandro that would risk it all to see me...." He looked at her disbelief "oh this old Alessandro is long gone. HE'S GONE AFTER HE SAW YOU DEAD ON THE CEMENT ROAD!" "I DIDNT DIE"
"BUT YOU COULD HAVE!"
"BUT I DIDNT!!" Tears were scrolling down her cheeks.
"YARA YOURE COSTING YOUR LIFE OVER WHAT?! LOVE?!" His eyes started to get glossy. Every word he said were only empty words. Empty words with no meaning, with no intentions.
"YES LOVE! BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!"

He gripped both of her shoulders and shook her "AND I LOVE YOU TOO! But... we can't be together... I won't let you to risk it all just... for me. It's not going to happen NOT IN MY WATCH!" She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "Just tell me you want to leave and go away." He rubbed his face frustrated "what are you saying Yara?! What the fuck you're saying?!!" "TELL ME THIS SPEECH FOR THE PAST WEEK YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR AND LEAVE ME!" Silence. She knew that she was right.

"There's no speech Yara. How can you be with someone who can't even protect himself?! How can you be with someone who can't protect himself and you don't know how to even protect yourself?!" She scoffed "what? Wait because I'm a woman and I don't know how to fight? That's what you are saying?!" He rolled his eyes "YARA YOURE CHANGING THE WHOLE SUBJECT! Yara, I can't be with you if my father is still alive and demanding your head!" Tears formed in his eyes "can't you see it's harder for me too."

She walked slowly to him "alright. We're broken up." As she tried to turn her back he held her still "no don't do that to me." She pushed him away "I CANT BELIVE YOU ALESSANDRO! YOU'RE BREAKING UP WITH ME BUT YOU DONT WANT ME TO LEAVE?! MAKE UP YOUR MIND!" He pulled her close to him "I want you.... More than I ever wanted someone...." She scoffed "you know the first night we met.... The night I said you were not like other people.... I was wrong." She slapped him straight into the face, marking on his cheek a red hand print. He looked at her surprised "you're like all of them... you only wanted me to help you with your needs... you only wanted me to show off.... Do you know you were my first time ever...?"

Her cries were echoing all over the room, while endless tears were still scrolling down her cheekbones. "You were my first everything.... Love... sex... adventure.... Family..." he looked at the ceiling shutting his eyes and letting the tears fall down "you too Yara. I swear.... I promise you. When everything goes as I'm planning right now. I will come back and this time I won't be leaving." She shook her head no "is it the same promise that you will never leave me...? That you will love me forever?" "They are still the same Yara. But things changed and we want to live a better life." "Get out Alessandro." She pushed him out of her bedroom and slammed the door on his face

It was midnight, when Elie was sitting in his office looking at piles of papers. Then someone knocked. "Elie?" He looked at his cousin and stood "are you okay?! Are you feeling ill?! Want me to call the doctor?!" She shook her head no which earned her a sigh of relief from him. "Elie... I want to be just like you... to be able to protect myself like you always want me to do. And I'm ready from tomorrow morning if you want." He smiled "that's my good girl." He opened his arms and she rushed to him tears in her eyes and cried on his chest.

"Are you okay?" She sniffed "how can you cope with the lost of someone you really loved elie? It's very hard. But you need to get over it. Why are you asking?" She cried "I...." She stayed quiet "I thought that I would never see you again. What if in that day I really died...?" He kissed her forehead "Yara. We didn't chose this life, life chose us. And that's why I wanted you to really know fighting and train with my men to be as strong as them. And I'm happy you finally accepted." They hugged each other tighter enjoying each other's warmth.