Chapter 13

Catch-up

I found the spell and left the grimoire open on that page before walking out the room, with Thor on my tail, and used magic to shut the secret door. I started flicking through shelves in my room for a book on possible side affects on resurrection and started reading.

I hope I can bring them home.

Present

So that is the price...

I figured out what it was, but it left me questioning if I should really give that up. Would it be worth it?

The doubt only lasted a second, but I was outside Loki's room the next. I knocked on the door and I heard a faint 'come in' from the other side.

I opened the door and his shields allowed me to enter with no hesitation. I walked to his bed with a smile on my face as I sat down on the edge. Loki moved to sit up, figuring that we needed to talk.

I skipped everything and got straight to the point.

"I can bring them back."

Loki was confused as to what I was talking about. "Pardon?" He quizzed.

"Your children. I can bring them back." I smiled as his eyes filled with hope.

"How? I tried everything in the book!" He doubted me.

"Not my book. This grimoire has been passed through generations of witches in our bloodline. It is a one of a kind. I just need your permission to bring them back, as they are your children." I clarified for him. I didn't tell him that I needed to pay a price for the magic I needed to use. He didn't need to know. Not yet, atleast.

He nodded his head, unable to form words. But that was all that was needed. I had his permission, now I can bring his twins home.

Tears of happiness started to spill from his eyes as he moved to hug me. "Thank you." He whispered as he sniffled and tried to calm himself.

"You need not thank me. I'm doing what anyone with the power that I have would do. But I must prepare. I will make the journey to Hel in the early morn, when you should be physically recovered. I may be drained afterwards, but don't be alarmed. It takes alot of magic to do what I am going to do." I told him firmly. He nodded his head in acknowledgement and allowed me to leave so I could prepare for tomorrow's spell.

..........

I awoke the next morning feeling sick to the bone. Not of illness, but of the nervousness that ran through me.

I have always had a fear of failure. I always strived to be perfect. I never liked doing something wrong, especially when it came to magic. But accidents can happen, and they have more than once. The nerves of failing my older brother were high, but also unlikely. He, himself, understood all risks to magic, including the chance of the spell completely backfiring and could end up with both myself and his children stuck within the gates of Hel.

I grabbed the grimoire, crystals, and candles before heading down into the living area, where the Midgardians had specifically been told to keep clear of.

I started setting up but felt a presence behind me. I turned to see Loki walking up behind me with an excited smile on his face.

"Allow me to help with setting up your equipment." He offered. I nodded and handed him five candles. One white, one black, another one red, orange, then a blue one.

I told him to put them on each corner of the pentagram I would be kneeling in. The crystals were spread in a circle around the pentagram. Thor entered the room just as I lit the last candle and got ready for the spell.