Chapter 20

Catch-up

"No, Lolita. You have to fight. It is not your time."

"I don't want to, Mima. I like it here."

Present

Loki's Pov

It has been three hours since Lola's sacrifice. She's not dead, no. She just won't wake up. A coma, as Midgardians put it.

First, she sacrificed her ability to have children for me, now she has possibly sacrificed her life for my mother. I owe her everything I have and more.

Laufey hasn't left her side, and neither have I. We have actually talked quite abit, and not stayed in the awkward silence I expected there to be.

Mother has been looking after the children, keeping them occupied while Eir and myself tend to Lola, and Laufey...father...worries on the sidelines.

"Your highness, she is going to be alright." Eir reasured...father, although, I think she was trying to tell herself that.

Lola's injuries were extensive. Even I'm not sure if she will pull through. And mother raised me in the healing wing, I am aware of the in's and out's of the medical field, but watching my younger sister in this state...it seems as if my training were child's play.

The doors suddenly burst open and mother hurried in. She rolled up the sleeves on her blue dress as she walked towards us. Eir backed away with her head bowed in respect, but I stayed put as I wrung out a cool, damp cloth and put it on Lola's forehead.

"Damage?" Mother asked in a demanding tone that she only uses in the healing wing.

"Sword broke three ribs, two different places per bone, punctured a kidney, grazed passed her stomach. Exit wound straight through the top of her uterus, just below her naval. Currently unresponsive with a slight temperature." I rattled off as if it were scripted.

"Why is her temperature raised?" She asked.

"Not sure. Cool cloth is on her forehead to try and lower it." I said, trying to keep my answers short.

"Keep it there and change it often. Breathing?"

"Steady, no signs of her breathing being laboured. Airways are clear and lungs have not been punctured."

"What of her uterus? Will she be able to bare a child?" I froze, not quite knowing what to say. Lola sacrificed her fertility for my children.

"That was the price, wasn't it. She is barren." Mother realised. I nodded my head, and we moved on.

"She cannot be healed with magic until we have removed the bone fragments of her rib cage. Surgery may be required." I said.

"No need for surgery. I know how to fix it with magic, but it is a seperate spell that requires more power than I have." Mother replied and I instantly offered my hand for her to draw from my own magic.

She grabbed my outstretched hand with no hesitation, having done similar things numerous times throughout the years.

I felt our joined power flow through my veins. The ecstasy of feeling this powerful, this unstoppable, was surreal. It was like feeling high, or getting drunk for the first time. It feels amazing.

Mother muttered the spell in Asgardian, and we heard the clicking and cracking of bones, Lola's bones. I grimaced at the sound, as did father.

The cracking soon stopped, and I knew it was safe to begin the healing spell. Mother and I muttered the words simultaneously, like and old script we had memorised and could recite at any time.