Chapter 2

Liam's POV

It's the morning of the funeral, Liam reluctantly gets dressed. He looks in the bathroom mirror, smoothing his hair, then walks down the stairs. Walking into the kitchen, he sees his mother holding a cup of something while staring down at it.

"Hey mam are you doing ok?" Liam walks over to his mother and gives her a hug. He puts his head on her shoulder and pats her back.

"Yes, I'm doing fine, hun." She smiles and pets his hair. "I'm just reminiscing about older times."

"Ok just making sure mam." Liam walks over to the fridge and opens it up, grabbing something to eat. He walks into the living room and sits down. He was thinking about the conversation he had with Keagan last night. He knows she can be dramatic sometimes, but Keagan has never acted so possessive. At first he thought maybe she was just trying to be a good friend, but then it sounded like she wasn't completely over Calvin.

Liam's brother came downstairs and glanced over at Liam. "I guess you didn't get out of it after all." Liam rolled his eyes, standing up as they got ready to leave for the funeral.

"Are you sure you want to go, mam?"

"Yes, I need to. I have to say my goodbyes."

"But you guys parted ways years ago," Liam's brother cut in.

"She's always been and will always be in my heart. It doesn't matter how many years we went without talking." Liam gave her an understanding nod, put his arm around her shoulders as they headed for the door.

When they arrived at the funeral, Liam looked around, hoping to see a familiar face. He didn't see anyone he knew, so he stuck with his mam. They walked into the building and sat down, Liam's mom not being ready to go over to the coffin yet. Liam watched as people mingled. Once everyone finally took their seats, a tall redhead walked up to the podium, followed by the boy he knew as Finn.

With tears in his eyes, the boy began. "Thank you all for coming. I know this is hard for all of us. My mother was an amazing and pure woman." A drunken chuckle comes from the front row. The boy glares at the man for a second, then continues. "As many of you know, she had cancer for a while. Her immune system just couldn't fight it anymore." Suddenly, the doors to the building opened. Liam turned around to see a drunk Keagan stumbling through the doors. Glancing back up at the boy, he sees his eyes are wide and confused. Keagan makes her way to the podium, pushing the boy out of the way. In surrender, the boy puts his hands up and backs away, going to sit in the front row.

"I... I... h-have someth... ing to say. Mrs. G-Grant was like a mother to me. She was always there and su-supported me, something my b-best... friend doesn't know how to do." Not wanting to hear anymore of it, Liam got up and quickly made his way to the podium, apologizing for his friend's behavior along the way.

"Keagan," he whispers, "what the hell are you doing? You can't just barge in like this." Liam throws Keagan's arm over his shoulder and drags her down to where he was sitting in the back row. Finn is the first to go back up to the podium.

"Sorry about that, everyone. If everything is alright now, we're going to continue. Calvin." Finn gestures to the redhead boy as he comes back up to the podium.

Calvin's POV

After the strange events that had unfolded, the last thing Calvin wanted to do was go back up to that podium. His ex-girlfriend had just barged into his mam's funeral, drunk, then had to be dragged away by a boy that Calvin didn't recognize.

Standing at the podium, Calvin scans the audience, seeing the faces of both Keagan and the unfamiliar boy. He finds Isla's face in the audience, using it to calm him down, then he continues. "As I was saying, my mother's last few months were very difficult. Sadly, I couldn't be there for her. I was in America. During the hardest part of my mother's life, I was thousands of miles away. Luckily, she had my brothers and father here for her. My youngest brother, Magnus, being only 6 years old, doesn't completely understand this situation. I just hope that he's old enough now to remember her when he's older." Calvin feels tears burn his eyes. Rubbing the tears from his eyes, he turns to Finn. "Can you please take over?" Finn nods as he makes his way to the podium. Calvin walks out of the building and starts the long walk back to his house. No matter how hard he tries, he can't keep the tears out of his eyes.