| 1 | Mister Emperor Man Takes Another Victim

Words: 1718
Date published: 10.19.2022

- not proof-read -

You remember walking through the castle doors for the first time as if it were yesterday. Of course, it would be a bit worrisome if you didn't, considering it actually was yesterday. A guard was sent for your arrival it seemed. He led you straight to Emperor Belos.

Introductions were terribly nerve racking - after all, this man had been Emperor longer than you'd been alive. You were so worried about gaining his approval at first, but the longer you talked to him, the more comfortable you felt.

He had an intimidating appearance, sure. His masked figure towered over you even as he sat. His voice, however, was soft and kind. He spoke with an accent you had only ever heard him have. It sounded sophisticated and wise and not like anything from the Boiling Isles.

He explained to you how things would go. He would personally teach you how to use coven-issued staffs and their artificial magic tomorrow. Then, you would be put up against guards of varying skill to gauge your level. After determining your level, he will assign you a room, rank, and schedule. You would act as a coven member until you can be officially initiated along with other recruits. That was the plan.

"Artificial magic works a little differently than natural Palisman magic. Palisman connect directly to the user on their own and can draw additional magic out. Our basic artificial staffs don't work the same. Instead of drawing additional magic from you, they amplify the magic you use. Bearing that in mind may help you quite a bit. Now... have you ever tried using a staff to teleport?"

You shook your head. "B-But I could probably get it pretty quickly!" you added in a rush.

"I know you could, Y/N. Would you like to try?"

"Um... yeah..." He handed you the staff you had been practicing with and you gripped it tightly.

"It helps if you keep your eyes on the spot you wish to reappear in," Belos advised.

You did as he said. It only took a few tries for you to succeed.

"Very good, Y/N!" Belos praised. You beamed up at him. "Now, I want you to run towards me, but teleport behind me at the last moment without losing momentum. If you can do that, we know that you can teleport exactly when you want to."

You were a little nervous, but you were feeling more safe around him. You were sure that even if you messed up, he wouldn't label you as a lost cause and move on. You readied your stance at a distance from the towering man before charging full-speed. You clenched your eyes shut and did your best to activate the teleportation spell, but you instead crashed straight into him. You almost fell backwards, but he caught you, holding you up for a moment before bringing you back to your feet.

"S-Sorry," you stuttered.

"It's alright, Y/N. Try again."

It was the same thing the next time. You crashed into him, but he caught you before you could fall.

The third time, however, was successful. "I did it!" you gasped after opening your eyes.

"Very good, Y/N! Let's make sure you can keep it up. Two more times?"

Both times were successful. "Now, there is a special kind of magic I would like to teach you. It is very difficult with regular Palisman, but with our staffs, it's made quite easy. It merges teleportation magic with bending the very reality we live in."

He took hold of a staff and spun it, creating a strange, orange glowing circle in front of him. "Come here, Y/N, and look through this circle." You did as asked and gasped when you saw that you could see through it to another room.