| Special Chapter | Hunter's POV 8 & 9

Words: 1466
Date published: 1/6/2023

- not proofread -

Hunter's POV

I entered Y/N's room for the first time, taking in all the details. She had a good eye for design, I think. "That doesn't look like it meets the uniform requirements, Mister Golden Guard," she teased, referencing my pajamas and messy hair falling over my mask.

"Yes, because walking less than 10 feet to your room is going to catch the attention of every coven member," I shot back without missing a beat as I removed my mask. I could feel her gaze on me, so I kept my focus fixated on a small spot on her wall.

"You... have a point," she admitted reluctantly.

I debated for a moment whether I should ask my question. Would she say yes? Would she think I'm weird for asking? Would she- "Do you wanna watch something?" I blurted out before I could think twice.

"Oh, sure. We've got time to kill. Come here," she answered, much to my relief. I watched her adjust her pillows and hop onto the bed. Oh, I'm going- next- to her. Right. That's how... this would... work. It's okay! It isn't like this is the first time we'd be next to each other! She won't think it's bad. She's the one inviting me-

I crawled up next to her nervously before seating myself far enough away that no part of our bodies touched. I was barely able to focus on the video she chose. My heart was racing and I couldn't move.

"You look uncomfortable," she commented with a flare of amusement.

"Well, I'm not," I lied instantly.

"You can relax, y'know."

I slowly released the tension in my muscles and scooted just a little closer. Her presence was calming. I glanced over to Y/N, watching her intently as she watched the screen. There was some sort of explosion on the show and her eyes widened ever so slightly. She's so pretty, my sleep deprived brain informed me. I guess it was right.

/// /// ///

The crew pretty much ignored me as I made my rounds. It was nice. At one point, Y/N was singing some sort of sea shanty with the crew. Of course she knows all the words. I stepped away for a moment, checking the course of the ship in comparison to a map before returning, but the song had ended already and Y/N was off doing some other chore.

Some dog thing came flying out of the captain's room, looking panicked. "Woah, there, little guy," I said. "You weren't supposed to be in there..." Doesn't this guy belong to the owl lady? So the human is here... That gives me an idea. "As punishment, you will be held..." I grabbed him by the back of his collar and reached for a nearby cage. "In here."

"Wait!" he begged as I shut the door. "Someone is in trouble there!"

"Who?" I asked, not really believing the story.

"Some teenage girl!" Y/N! I dropped the birdcage and leapt over the balcony's railing, landing in front of the door. The impact of my boots hitting the ground was barely audible over the crew's singing and dancing.

I kicked the door open and the sound of it hitting the wall rang through the room, freezing the scene inside. A towering man had Y/N backed against the wall, pulling an arm back to punch.

Even with me in the room, he didn't lower his fist. I spoke slowly and coldly, ensuring my voice was free of all shakiness. That wasn't an easy feat. I was beyond pissed. "What is going on here?"