| 7 | The Author Fits Several Small Arcs Into One Chapter

Words: 1214

Date published: 10.27.22

- not proof-read -

You pretended it never happened. You knew all along that Caleb was Hunter. You were just... more hyper due to the new experiences you had that day. You didn't tell Caleb anything you wouldn't tell Hunter... y'know... cuz you knew they were the same person. Yeah.

Hunter was a bit... different, though. Like, he was weirding you out sort of different. He was quiet... He wasn't making any mean comments. It was odd, but in a way, you missed them.

Back when you attended Hexside, you were assigned a role in a play where you had to trip on-stage. You decided to use that old skill, feigning a trip during training with Hunter.

"Fuck," you muttered as you picked yourself back up. You looked at Hunter, but he looked away. "What? You're not gonna say anything?" He turned toward you but stayed silent. "I just fell on my fucking face and I didn't even hear a chuckle from you? What's going on, Hunter?" You ripped your mask away from your face so you could breathe easier.

"It's nothing. Leave me alone," he muttered.

"It's definitely something. Please, let me help you."

He turned to you. "It's nothing," he said slowly and coldly. "Now stay out of other people's business."

"Right, okay," you said, trying to push back the urge to cry at his harsh tone.

Hunter was like this for a few days. He didn't want to talk to you much. Something was definitely wrong, but you didn't want a repeat of what happened last time, so you didn't push it. You did really want to make him feel better, though... It took you a while, but you finally thought of something that might work...

"You wanted to see me, Y/N?" said a familiar and kind voice.

"Yes, sir..." you said from your kneeling position. "I had a request to ask of you."

"Go on..." Belos said, resting his head in his hand.

"Well, I was wanting to talk to Hunter more easily, and it's often difficult to contact him, so I was hoping... maybe he could have a scroll?"

"I've been considering it. He is 16. I just worry about him... The internet is a scary place..."

"He could make a private account for things," you suggested. "I could help him set it up."

"What does a.. Um... private account do?" You smiled at the old man's endearing lack of knowledge of modern technology.

"It hides your posts from anyone who isn't following you and when someone tries to follow you, you have to approve it first."

"And... you're willing to take responsibility for helping Hunter with this?"

You nodded excitedly. This was looking hopeful.

"His accounts will be private. I will be notified of any suspicious activity immediately. If those rules are followed... Hunter may have a scroll..."

/// /// ///

"How do I set this thing up?" he asked.

"Titan, you're hopeless," you teased, taking the scroll from Hunter's hand. You sat side by side in the privacy of his room where masks weren't required. "You tap the signup button and choose a username."

"GoldenGuard!"

"I... guarantee you that someone has chosen that already."

"What? Why does that matter?"